cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions re US Bank, LL Bean CC offers and...

tag
Established Member

Questions re US Bank, LL Bean CC offers and...

Hi folks. Time for me to tap the knowledge and experience of others:

We recently received "prequalified" offers for a US Bank Visa Platinum (me) and LL Bean Visa/Barclays (DH). Purchase APRs for both are variable at 9.99%, no 0%/intro/purchases. Both BT APRs also 9.99%.  LL Bean provides for 0%/6 months/3% fee BTs. US Bank waives BT fee one time at card acceptance, but no 0%/intro BT. USB is supposedly known for generous CLs and balance friendly, LL Bean for their particular rewards.

At first we weren't actively looking for new cards, because earlier we thought we might _might_- do a mortgage sometime next year. That's on hold for now. But we've each been getting RJ'd all over the place, also recently. (As have so many others, I know.)

DH scores are TU FICO 792 EQ FICO 815; mine are TU FICO 780 EQ FICO 809. No "baddies" for either of us. We PIF 4-5 of 7 cards/month with 2 sometimes having balances between 250-350 and current AX balance of 1200 for DH. So occasionally we will leave some balances. This doesn't seem to have negatively affected our long term scores. (Except for one instance? I'll explain below.)

Okay, sorry for all the detail, but some folks always ask for additional, so I thought I'd include it.

I've read good things here about USB and not so good about Barclays. But we are considering the apps. DH loves LL Bean. If history and AAOA didn't count that much, I would have loved to close both Chase and Paypal, and the same for DH with Sears. But I get the bulk of my 29 yr history through my AU on his AX and 13 yrs via AU on Sears, and Paypal's my oldest at two + years, Chase, BOA, and AX near one year. So I know I have to just do the old SD on those cards, if I'm not happy. Although in a little more than a decade we oldsters will both be septuagenarians, and I wonder if by then we'll care!

Anyway, here are my questions.

-Are either of these cards worth the effort? Eventually we want to move to CUs, just not right now.
-Are there better bank CCs than USB for a general balance friendly card? Not including Simmons (not worth it).
-Since we're satisfied enough with current rewards, would DH be better off cold apping for his own USB vs LL Bean?
-Does AX ever "punish" for transferring one of their balances to another card, or would some consider that wise?
-We are in Illinois. Who does USB pull, who does Barclays pull? (If anybody knows)

Last "related" question:

-What would make a CB report say that though both scores are excellent a negative factor is that there's recently been heavy usage of credit - at 4% utilization ?

This shows up on both our recent TU FICO reports, while we used to be higher at 7% and later 6%. There's been SOME recent shopping but no card reflects above 4% usage.

Anyway, all answers to my many queries will be most welcome. Thanks, in advance.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Questions re US Bank, LL Bean CC offers and...

@StarsongPhoenix wrote:

Last "related" question:

-What would make a CB report say that though both scores are excellent a negative factor is that there's recently been heavy usage of credit - at 4% utilization ?

This shows up on both our recent TU FICO reports, while we used to be higher at 7% and later 6%. There's been SOME recent shopping but no card reflects above 4% usage.

The FICO scoring algorithm/report has to spew out one negative reason at the score level you are both at and that is the worst thing it could find. If 4% UTIL is the worst thing about your CBR you are in excellent shape!

Message 2 of 18
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I have a USBank card and have no problems.  They are a conservatibe bank and have not suffered too much in the meltdown.

I have had no major problems with them

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

There is a post here by DickC where he states that he was informed by a USBank official that the automatic CLI's will be eliminated soon. (They are automatic if you ask for them.)
Message 4 of 18
Established Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

I have a USBank card and have no problems.  They are a conservatibe bank and have not suffered too much in the meltdown.

I have had no major problems with them

+1

I have a US Bank CC and agree with MidnightVoice. I would not hesitate to carry a balance with US Bank, if I needed/wanted to.

US Bank hard pulled EX for me. I live in Arizona.

ETA: US Bank has not once taken AA with my CC account.

Message Edited by plasticman on 10-09-2009 11:02 AM
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would honestly recommend joining a CU because it is a safer haven. I dont have any experience with USB so sorry cant comment there. I would also say start developing a positive history with a CU and build a r/ship with them and they will most probably be a good way to go mortgage wise and even the rates are much more attractive. Lastly, the CU CC's tend to be more on the lower APR end. I have my PSECU and another CU CC that I work for at 9.9% both and they will stay like that and CL's are kinda generous too!

Good Luck!

Message 6 of 18
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Where in Illinois?  Our personal and business CU in BCU (Baxter Credit Union).  They have great products, you are a person not a number there, great free checking that earns 4%, Auto loans at 3.99% etc...  At least try them...  they pull TU and one pull lasts for 90 days.

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 7 of 18
emoticon
Valued Member

I recommend USBank, but not the card offer your received.  Your credit is great so no worries about approval.  The American Humane cards with USBank have 0% everything and no BT fee when applying.  I got one and it's been good to me.  Try the link.

https://applications.usbank.com/oad/begin?locationCode=9584&sourceCode=76024

*US Bank Signature Visa $25,000; *Chase Flexible Rewards Visa Signature $20,000; *BOA Accelerated Rewards AMEX $17,500; *Citi Platinum Select MC $13,000; *Discover More $12,000; *PenFed Visa Gold $10,000; *Home Depot $2,200
Message 8 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I LOVE USBANK and everyone says they are a conservative bank which I think they even say but yet they are my HIGHEST CL and I carry very high balances with them, use BT offers constantly whenever I get it paid down and they still have only continued to increase the CL VS chasing balance or anything.  you can ask for no pull CLI every 6 months.  They are just fabulous and they start approving with scores over 680, so you should have no issue.
Message 9 of 18
Established Member

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

The FICO scoring algorithm/report has to spew out one negative reason at the score level you are both at and that is the worst thing it could find. If 4% UTIL is the worst thing about your CBR you are in excellent shape!

Wheww! Good to know, I was beginning to wonder! As for USB planning to stop automatic CLIs, that's something we'll have to consider. But if either or both of us apply, hopefully the card will live up to its name for generous opening limits, and APRs won't quickly go sky high.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.