Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding the Amex blacklist

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Questions regarding the Amex blacklist

@jenb22 wrote:

Amex was included in my BK and they don't allow you to repay after bankruptcy, I had already checked. My question was more along the lines of if they have let me be on my mom's account as an AU, green and platinum card....my platinum card was backdated to 2001, when I originally had my own account. I was hoping that the backdating would help my credit significantly, and in time be able to go back to Amex as a standalone card holder. I was assuming if they were backdating my card, and approved me as an AU that possibly I am off their blacklist.

Semper Fi

Take the dive, If Blacklisted you will get a no HP decision in 2 seconds, If not BlackListed you might end up with a 30 second APPROVAL!!

I would however apply for a Chartge Card like Zync, if approved then you can go rigth back in and apply for Delta or which ever one you wanted in the revolving side.

Message 11 of 18
Roodog2k
Established Member

Something very similar happened with my wife.

We had a universal default situation in 2006 where we missed 2 mortgage payments. My wife's AMEX Blue was rescinded.  My green card, however, was not.

Two years ago, I upgraded to AMEX Gold (since you get the second card for free, I was going to add my wife to my AMEX account... total cost was about $10 more than two green cards).

Her gold card has the same membership date as when she got her Blue.

I've been curious about the blacklist thing too.

Message 12 of 18
sjt
Senior Contributor

@jenb22 wrote:

Amex was included in my BK and they don't allow you to repay after bankruptcy, I had already checked. My question was more along the lines of if they have let me be on my mom's account as an AU, green and platinum card....my platinum card was backdated to 2001, when I originally had my own account. I was hoping that the backdating would help my credit significantly, and in time be able to go back to Amex as a standalone card holder. I was assuming if they were backdating my card, and approved me as an AU that possibly I am off their blacklist.

Semper Fi

Hi-

Actually Amex (and other creditors) will allow you to pay a card off that was IIB. My friend, also a Marine, was in a similar position. They had to make several calls though. Creditors are a little apprehensive because they dont want any perception that they are trying to collect a debt that was IIB.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 13 of 18
Videoguy

Amex was included in our BK in 1999. My wife was AU on my card and also included in BK.

We rebuild nicely our credit; it is in 780’s now for each of us and not even one late payment in past 10 years. However, if I try to apply for AMEX card, I would get denied immediately – no HP.

And here is nice twist:

Last year my wife received pre-approved mail for the Green Card. She applied and requested me as AU. She gets approved, but I was denied as AU. We call them just for the curiosity to find out what is my status with AMEX. After several call transfers, they told us, my file is sealed (?) and nobody can really open the file and say, what is going on.

So, my wife cancelled the GC even before activation and we are struggling  in our lives without AMEX cards. Smiley Wink  (Don't feel sorry for us, we have each over $80,000 credit lines from MC,Visa and Discover)Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 18
drkaje
Senior Contributor

People can get by fine without Amex or any other card.Smiley Happy

Is it really a surprise that companies would be leery about a renewing a relationship after being included in a BK?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got off the phone after getting declined for a Zync card and this is how their blacklist works.  So you include accoutns in BR they have write offs but keep the balances in their system on those accounts that are closed.  So when you apply online for a card they automatically take your ss number and query their database for such.  Once it finds accounts throught the query it does it automatically flags the applciation for denied and doesn't even dip against your credit report.  Slick what they do, when you call they say that "you can voluntarily pay the balances on the accounts but there is no guarrentee of getting a card".  Very interesting call so now the question is do you just skip getting another Amex card or make good?

Message 16 of 18
Videoguy

And another nice twist, letter I just received yesterday from AMEX, together with $100 settlement check : Man Surprised

Dear ……………

We invite you to apply for the Optima Card from American Express. This opportunity is in connection with a settlement solicitation, which did not clearly disclose that a settlement could prevent you from being approved for a new account with us in the future. This is in response to an enforcement action by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau regarding this issue.

Your attached application will be approved unless we determine that you do not have the financial capacity to make the minimum payment on this new Optima Card account, or we receive the application after 04/25/2013.

As required by federal regulation, when you apply, we will evaluate your ability to make the minimum payment based on financial information you provide us, in relation to your debt obligations reflected in your credit report.

The credit limit on your account will be set at $500 or $1,000 based on our review of your credit worthiness. Your account will not be eligible for credit limit increase for 36 months following account opening. Any balance transfer, upgrade, or transfer to a different American Express® Card will not be allowed.

0% lntro APR for 12 Months   No Annual Fee

The Optima Card has a 0% APR on purchases for the first 12 months and no annual membership fee. After

12 months, the APR for purchases will be Prime Rate+ 3.99%, currently 7.24%.'  The APR will be protected from exceeding the Prime Rate+ 3.99% for the first 36 months. The Optima Card allows you the flexibility to pay for your purchases over time.

Rewards Program with No Annual Fee                        

The Optima Card comes with the Membership Rewards® program, included with no annual fee. So when you spend on eligible purchases, you  can get points redeemable for  incredible rewards. With  rewards starting at just 1,000 points, you  can be on your  way to great  rewards in no time. Or you can save up for something bigger because points have no expiration date. You can use points for gift cards, travel and more.

American Express Convenience and Service

The Optima Card is accepted everywhere American Express Cards are welcome by merchants worldwide. You will also have access to the exceptional customer service and benefits that come with Card membership.

Take Advantage of this Offer Now

Act now by completing the attached application and mailing to the address provided with the return envelope. Please note that this offer is available for a limited time only and will expire on 04/25/2013.  If your application is received after this  date, the application will not  be approved. If you have any questions about this Card product or offer, please call 1-866-929-5168. Sincerely,

American Express Account Services

*Due to Federal action, customers who previously opted-out of solicitations were included in this mailing. We apologize for any dissatisfaction this may have caused.

Message 17 of 18
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@Videoguy wrote:

And another nice twist, letter I just received yesterday from AMEX, together with $100 settlement check : Man Surprised

Dear ……………

We invite you to apply for the Optima Card from American Express. This opportunity is in connection with a settlement solicitation, which did not clearly disclose that a settlement could prevent you from being approved for a new account with us in the future. This is in response to an enforcement action by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau regarding this issue.

Your attached application will be approved unless we determine that you do not have the financial capacity to make the minimum payment on this new Optima Card account, or we receive the application after 04/25/2013.

As required by federal regulation, when you apply, we will evaluate your ability to make the minimum payment based on financial information you provide us, in relation to your debt obligations reflected in your credit report.

The credit limit on your account will be set at $500 or $1,000 based on our review of your credit worthiness. Your account will not be eligible for credit limit increase for 36 months following account opening. Any balance transfer, upgrade, or transfer to a different American Express® Card will not be allowed.

0% lntro APR for 12 Months   No Annual Fee

The Optima Card has a 0% APR on purchases for the first 12 months and no annual membership fee. After

12 months, the APR for purchases will be Prime Rate+ 3.99%, currently 7.24%.'  The APR will be protected from exceeding the Prime Rate+ 3.99% for the first 36 months. The Optima Card allows you the flexibility to pay for your purchases over time.

Rewards Program with No Annual Fee                        

The Optima Card comes with the Membership Rewards® program, included with no annual fee. So when you spend on eligible purchases, you  can get points redeemable for  incredible rewards. With  rewards starting at just 1,000 points, you  can be on your  way to great  rewards in no time. Or you can save up for something bigger because points have no expiration date. You can use points for gift cards, travel and more.

American Express Convenience and Service

The Optima Card is accepted everywhere American Express Cards are welcome by merchants worldwide. You will also have access to the exceptional customer service and benefits that come with Card membership.

Take Advantage of this Offer Now

Act now by completing the attached application and mailing to the address provided with the return envelope. Please note that this offer is available for a limited time only and will expire on 04/25/2013.  If your application is received after this  date, the application will not  be approved. If you have any questions about this Card product or offer, please call 1-866-929-5168. Sincerely,

American Express Account Services

*Due to Federal action, customers who previously opted-out of solicitations were included in this mailing. We apologize for any dissatisfaction this may have caused.

Are you going to submit the application? And if so, keep us posted.

Also, does anybody know about being blacklisted for charged off amex cards? I never filed BK, but I still do owe them a balance.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.