Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick BT question

tag
squirrely2005
Contributor

Quick BT question

I want to close my Cap1 quicksilver because of the crazy APR and I already have a 1.5% cashback card that at a limit of 7.5k which is my nfcu cash rewards.

So anyway my question is can I close the account but still do the balance transfer. I don't see why I couldn't but I don't know if maybe I can't. I'll have to call anyway to close it but don't want to ask them this and they say no and then I wasted time calling them.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
dlh4244
Valued Member

Re: Quick BT question

So are u trying to close the account after transferring its balance to NFCU?
Message 2 of 14
squirrely2005
Contributor

I'm actually transferring it over to another CU that has a BT rate thats really low. Here.https://www.ssfcu.org/en-us/loans-credit/credit-cards/Pages/balance-transfer.aspx

Really just unimportant details. Sorry.  

Message 3 of 14
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

Of course you can close the card after the BT has fully paid off the card's remaining balance. 

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 4 of 14
dlh4244
Valued Member

+1
Message 5 of 14
squirrely2005
Contributor

Well I mean can I close the account today and THEN initiate the BT later this week.

Message 6 of 14
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

@squirrely2005 wrote:

Well I mean can I close the account today and THEN initiate the BT later this week.

I would contact Cap One customer service and pose this question to them so that you can be absolutely certain. 

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 7 of 14
dlh4244
Valued Member

I would pay it off first... I think u could run into too many problems if it is closed first
Message 8 of 14
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@squirrely2005 wrote:

I want to close my Cap1 quicksilver because of the crazy APR and I already have a 1.5% cashback card that at a limit of 7.5k which is my nfcu cash rewards.

So anyway my question is can I close the account but still do the balance transfer. I don't see why I couldn't but I don't know if maybe I can't. I'll have to call anyway to close it but don't want to ask them this and they say no and then I wasted time calling them.

Is there any particular reason you want to close this? Does it have a high annual fee?

If no AF I would keep it open. The APR doesn't matter if you pay in full each month because you pay no interest.

You might consider hanging on to it. Use it every few months to charge something small and pay it off before the statement posts. Another suggestion is using it to autopay a recurring monthly expense. I do for several utilities. Again this will keep it active and you won't have to keep track of the last time you used it.

Message 9 of 14
squirrely2005
Contributor

It does have an anual fee. It's 39 and I don't see the point in paying that. Even if they offered to waive it I wouldn't want to keep it. My plan now is to have a Visa, MC, Discover, and amex. I just need an amex that I'll apply for at some point. I'll have 13300 with the three i have now(except for the Cap1 which would add 2k). And I have a jcrew card I'm considering keeping because it has a 4600 limit that I rarely use. So..I just realized I make about 27k a year with 17k in credit. I'm more than happy with that.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.