Did you mean: 

Quick Balance Transfer Question

tag
gnay
Valued Member

Quick Balance Transfer Question

Hello,

Say Card A has $2000 balance on it.

Would it be better to transfer the entire balance to Card B ($10,000CL with no balance and 0% APR for 15months) 

OR

break the transfers into two card: $1,000 to Card B and $1,000 to Card C ($4900CL with no balance and 0% APR for 12 months)?

I'd appreciate your input

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Quick Balance Transfer Question

@gnay wrote:

Hello,

Would it be better to transfer the entire balance to Card B ($10,000CL with no balance and 0% APR for 15months) 

OR

break the transfers into two card: $1,000 to Card B and $1,000 to Card C ($4900CL with no balance and 0% APR for 12 months)?

Message 2 of 4
AzaleaB
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@gnay wrote:

Hello,

OR

+1, for credit score it's best to minimize the number of accounts with balances. Since you will only be using 20% of your CL on card B, you should be okay. 

Starting Score: EX:570, 8/2011
Current
Scores(8/30/18):
EX08:850; EQ08:850,
TU08:847
Inqs(12 mo): EX/0, EQ/0, TU/0
Goal Scores: 800+
My Cards: BoA Rewards: 30K, Discover IT: 50K, Arrival : 13.3K, CDP: 30.1K, Amex PRG, Amex ED: 22.5K, Amex BCP: 20K, FU: 21K, CSR: 35K, Amazon Store: 20K, Macys:10K, Diners Club:40K
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, since both cards offer the same 0% APR and 0 BT fees, and both scenarios will not put you over 50% utilization on any one card, it really depends on your plans.

The simple answer is what gdale already said. It's simplest, it won't mess up the utilization on that card, and it leaves the other open for spend.

But, if you don't use cards B and C often, I could see opting to split the BT between the two since you might want to make sure you show consistent usage on both. This assumes, though, that these the cards are not your only cards, and that you're not looking to optimize your score for any upcoming apps. If you are, then having balances reporting on most of your CC's, even if under the suggested utilization thresholds, will not allow for optimization.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.