Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Discover question

tag
squirrely2005
Contributor

Quick Discover question

I applied for the Discover IT card the other day and they needed me to talk them. I did the next day and she had one question for me and put me on hold and when she came back she said I was denied but offered me "another" card. I want the card for a BT and wanted the 0% interest but she offered me  a card with I think 11% on BTs with a 1200 limit.

I said no but now I'm considering it. Can I even go back and tell them I want it after all? I did also apply for Chase Slate and they said I'd get something in the mail. I guess I should really just call but working I hate calling. (I worked in a call center for 3 years and I'm always friendly but I still feel like a bother.) I'm gonna have to at some point but I wanted to know what y'all think. Biggest question is can I still even get the Discover?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Quick Discover question

The only real way to find out if you can still get the Discover is to call. I am not positive if it is still available, it could still be, but i think thats because she was offering it to you. Like another analyst might say they cant offer anything while some might. So i think it depends on whom you get a hold of. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 11
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@squirrely2005 wrote:

I applied for the Discover IT card the other day and they needed me to talk them. I did the next day and she had one question for me and put me on hold and when she came back she said I was denied but offered me "another" card. I want the card for a BT and wanted the 0% interest but she offered me  a card with I think 11% on BTs with a 1200 limit.

I said no but now I'm considering it. Can I even go back and tell them I want it after all? I did also apply for Chase Slate and they said I'd get something in the mail. I guess I should really just call but working I hate calling. (I worked in a call center for 3 years and I'm always friendly but I still feel like a bother.) I'm gonna have to at some point but I wanted to know what y'all think. Biggest question is can I still even get the Discover?

If you don't mind me asking, what was the main reason for you not to accept the Discover card offer?

Message 3 of 11
Luscher
Valued Contributor

I would accept it 11% is low.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Is Discover the only card you're considering for a BT?  I wouldn't do a BT on a card that doesn't offer a 0% introductory period. 

Message 5 of 11
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@squirrely2005 wrote:

Have you considered accepting the offer, paying good on it for like 6 months and then ask for a product change. Just a thought........ Smiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 11
Luscher
Valued Contributor

idk all of your info. but Chase Slate is 0 apr and 0 fee for BT's if you qualify
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 7 of 11
squirrely2005
Contributor

1200 just seemed low to me.

I called them and they gave me the same offer but at 800. I took it because I'm sure I'd regret it. Ive always wanted a Discover and I'll just hope I get a CLI sometime. Plus i realized i get the fico score. And anyway I want it for the BT to save on some money while I pay off some cards since I'm in the position to do that now. I plan on closing my JCrew and CareCredit. And probably my quicksilver since there's an AF. So I'll be left with a CU card at 1k limit, and nfcu at 6.5k. So I'll try to add an amex in about a year or so then I'm set. 

Message 8 of 11
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

FWIW, my husband received a similar offer from them 6 months ago.  He had REALLY high UTL at that point (in the 90s -- but debt was only about $2300).  He got $1400 with BT of 10.99% for six months.  We transferred part of the debt to that card and also opened a Slate and transferred the rest to that.  It was very, very helpful in future approvals.  We got the debt paid and the next things he applied for were no questions asked -- Amex with $10000 and Barclay SM World at (I think) $6400, maybe $6300.  Either way, using them to pay down debt that was at much higher interest rates was helpful.  It was also our first free FICO card for him.  Now he is sitting at a very pretty 4% UTL.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 9 of 11
squirrely2005
Contributor

That's awesome. My util is high. My nfcu card is at like 6200 of the 6500, my CU card is 900 of 1000, and my quicksilver is 1700 of 2k. I can pay the CU and quicksilver off right now but I'm an electrician and layoffsat my job site just happened Friday. And rumors or there's a round two this week so I'd right have cash just in case. 

But anyway I'm happy to here me and your husband had a somewhat similar situation. So I have something to look forward to. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.