Did you mean: 

Quick Silver or Venture

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Quick Silver or Venture

Rewards

(1) Sign-up

When first applying, Q/S gives $100 signup vs. Venture 40k points, which is either $400 (in travel) or $200 (pure cash).

Let's say you travel enough to make use of that extra bonus (redeeming 40k for cash just sounds silly).  That's $300 extra bonus from Venture, covering 5 more years of AF. 

In case you were not going to switch.

Winner: Venture

(2) On-going

If you don't travel enough to redeem your points against travel, Venture is not a great idea. Assuming you do travel enough, you must spend $11,800 in a year to break-even between Venture's annual fee and what you got from Q/S. Which you can redeem against $236 worth of travel (not a lot, really). 

Do you spend that much on non-category purchases? I don't. I PC-ed from Platinum. Q/S is a better choice for me than Venture because (1) didn't apply to me.

Winner: QuickSilver (low to moderate spend), Venture (high spend)

(3) Uber rewards

20% back only on QuickSilver

Winner: It's obvious Smiley Very Happy

Limits

Opening limits are much higher on Venture on average than on QuickSilver. In general we saw a lot of 5k, 10k, 15k going around on Venture against 3k and 5k on QuickSilver

Winner: Venture

Good looks

Well the Venture looks pretty cool now but I guess with new chip cards, QuickSilver will look decent as well. It's a subjective call.

Branding

Do you prefer Samuel L Jackson or Jennifer Garner? Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure which is easier to get but I got the Venture first and they gave me a CL of $15,000. A couple months later, I applied for the Quicksilver, and they gave me a CL of $5,000. 

It really depends what purpose you want the card for. If you travel alot, then the Venture card is definitely the way to go. Even with an annual fee of $59, you'll make up the savings with an annual spending of $2,950, granted you convert the miles to erase travel purchases or convert them into gift cards. If you're looking for pure cash back, then Quicksilver is what you want. Venture does have the option to convert miles to cash back, but its at a rate of 1% whereas Quicksilver will grant 1.5%. 

An annual spend of $2,950 makes up for the annual fee.   But the QS would earn nearly $45 more on that spend.   For the Venture with AF to beat QS you need:

0.02X - 59 > 0.15X, i.e. 0.005X > 59 ->  X> $11,800

and of course venture with an annual fee always earns less than Double Cash/Fid Amex, except for foreigh transactions

But for the first year with bonus, yes, it makes sense.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure which is easier to get but I got the Venture first and they gave me a CL of $15,000. A couple months later, I applied for the Quicksilver, and they gave me a CL of $5,000. 

It really depends what purpose you want the card for. If you travel alot, then the Venture card is definitely the way to go. Even with an annual fee of $59, you'll make up the savings with an annual spending of $2,950, granted you convert the miles to erase travel purchases or convert them into gift cards. If you're looking for pure cash back, then Quicksilver is what you want. Venture does have the option to convert miles to cash back, but its at a rate of 1% whereas Quicksilver will grant 1.5%. 

An annual spend of $2,950 makes up for the annual fee.   But the QS would earn nearly $45 more on that spend.   For the Venture with AF to beat QS you need:

and of course venture with an annual fee always earns less than Double Cash/Fid Amex, except for foreigh transactions

I think you're over complicating it. When you look at the basic numbers, 2% (Venture) > 1.5% (Quicksilver), granted you convert your miles to erase travel purchase or convert them to gift cards. 

If you're looking at it from a pure cash back standpoint, then yes, the Quicksilver beats out Venture because 1.5% (Quicksilver) > 1% (conversion rate for Venture miles to cash back).

Travel

@Anonymous: $2,950 @ 2% = $59.00 back in travel credit or gift cards

@Anonymous: $2,950 @ 1.5% = $44.25 cash back

Venture wins

Cash back

@Anonymous: $2,950 @ 1% = $29.50 cash back

Quicksilver wins

I get that you're factoring in the annual fee to find the point where Venture beats out Quicksilver. The numbers above take into account no annual fee for the first year, and as you mentioned about the bonus, the conversion to travel credit ($500) would cover the annual fee for 8.4yrs, and if you converted it to cash ($250), it would cover the annual fee for 4.2yrs. 

Ultimately, they're 2 different cards for 2 different purposes. At the end of the day, if you don't travel then there's no real reason to get the Venture card if your ultimate goal is to get cash back. 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

Rewards

(3) Uber rewards

20% back only on QuickSilver

Winner: It's obvious Smiley Very Happy

This makes no sense... Happy for QS users, but Capital One should have provided this reward for Venture card users as well.. I mean Uber is travel related and Venture is marketed as "Travel" rewards card!!! Smiley Mad

Message 14 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you're over complicating it. When you look at the basic numbers, 2% (Venture) > 1.5% (Quicksilver), granted you convert your miles to erase travel purchase or convert them to gift cards. 

If you're looking at it from a pure cash back standpoint, then yes, the Quicksilver beats out Venture because 1.5% (Quicksilver) > 1% (conversion rate for Venture miles to cash back).

Travel

@Anonymous: $2,950 @ 2% = $59.00 back in travel credit or gift cards

Venture wins

Cash back

@Anonymous: $2,950 @ 1% = $29.50 cash back

Quicksilver wins

I get that you're factoring in the annual fee to find the point where Venture beats out Quicksilver. The numbers above take into account no annual fee for the first year, and as you mentioned about the bonus, the conversion to travel credit ($500) would cover the annual fee for 8.4yrs, and if you converted it to cash ($250), it would cover the annual fee for 4.2yrs. 

Ultimately, they're 2 different cards for 2 different purposes. At the end of the day, if you don't travel then there's no real reason to get the Venture card if your ultimate goal is to get cash back. 

I think that is the heart of the disagreement, they are NOT for 2 different purposes, the Venture is a restricted cashback card, nothing really to do with travel!

My calculation, as you agree, takes into account the AF after the year one, and, WITH TRAVEL redemption, the QS wins up to $11.8K.  Nothing about redeeming venture for cash.

And as for stuff like the bonus pays the AF for X years, yes, but: you get the bonus as soon as you meet the spend, so you pocket the gain.   You then look forward, and unless you spend above the $11.8K per year, the QS is the better card.

Message 15 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@tbea1004 wrote:

Which is the best card Quick Silver or Venture? Which has the best rewards?

Best isn't about the card itself but how the cards suit you.  You need to provide your needs/wants/spend/etc if you want feedback  If one was universally best then everyone would have one and no one would have the other.

@tbea1004 wrote:

Which has the highest starting limits?

Limits are determined by your credit -- not the card.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.