Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick questing on Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick questing on Amex

I got a link on my amex site stating "Upgrade to the Rewards Plus Gold Card", When I click link it talk about applying and limited info needed and just need it ccid... but it dont state anything about it going to pull a additional CR or anything... has anyone ever clicked this before or something similar?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Quick questing on Amex

I got the same thing when I upgraded my Gold to a Platinum card several months back. Amex did not pull my credit and I kept the same account number. Call them to be absolutely sure though.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanx... and maybe i can get lucky with no af ;p
Message 3 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

never hurts to ask...it's not like Amex will punch you in the nose
Message 4 of 11
aftermath
Established Contributor

fused wrote:
never hurts to ask...it's not like Amex will punch you in the nose

Says who?  I've been punched in the nose by Amex plenty of times. Smiley Mad
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 5 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:
I got the same thing when I upgraded my Gold to a Platinum card several months back. Amex did not pull my credit and I kept the same account number. Call them to be absolutely sure though.

Are you talking about the message on the main accounts page? In the little box that's titled "Card Benefits"?

So in the highly unlikely event that I wanted to give American Express $450, by clicking this link, I would NOT get a hard inq?

Because if you click on one of those so-called pre-approvals that list four cards, it's a hard, yes? And if you call up and ask for a card, it's also a hard?

Goodness, I have many questions. Here's what I'm talking about on my screen:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And yes, I'm terrible with the drawing function on Paint, lol.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 07-22-2008 06:12 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump for fused.

Inquiring Mods want to know! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

upgrade is not a hard since it's the same account, they are just getting more money out of you. applying for new accounts are hard though.
Message 8 of 11
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I would definitely recommend calling Amex and doing this one on the phone as opposed to online just to be sure. Amex is weird sometimes.

They were happy to upgrade my Green to Gold without an inquiry.

I wonder how happy they will be when I switch the Gold back to Green the month before my AF hits.
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

That's NOT what I had. I'm not really sure about that link, though it does say upgrade and not apply. When Amex offered me the upgrade, there was a link located above my accounts. I also received the same offer in the mail. Again, I would call Amex to be sure.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.