Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question, Macy's store card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick question, Macy's store card

Does anyone know if requesting a credit limit increase through the Macy's website results in a hard inquiry? This is for the store card, not the Amex version. Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Quick question, Macy's store card

You can't request a CLI through the website unless it's via the chat feature.  

I just requested one a few weeks ago.  It's a soft on EQ.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 13
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

its ymmv. 

ive seen a couple people post on here saying it was a hard. 

i called in july and it was a soft. not sure which report since i only pulled form here and amex. 

went from 100(dec 10') to 2k(jun' 12)this was an auto cli i never requested it.(showed on my statment when i bought something) and 3.5k soft pull in july '12

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditnocash wrote:

its ymmv. 

i called in july and it was a soft. not sure which report since i only pulled form here and amex. 

went from 100(dec 10') to 2k(jun' 12)this was an auto cli i never requested it.(showed on my statment when i bought something) and 3.5k soft pull in july '12

Okay. I sent them a secured message asking the same question but as always I am being impatient. Thanks for the replies I will let you guys know what they tell me when I receive a message.

Message 4 of 13
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

its ymmv. 

Okay. I sent them a secured message asking the same question but as always I am being impatient. Thanks for the replies I will let you guys know what they tell me when I receive a message.

i woudn't trust that as most of them are auto generated. 

i asked about an amex upgrade and they said that they can transfer my store card to an amex. 

when i know for a fact its a seperate line. and the macys card is still open. 

fyi i called the number on the back of the card. put in my info and hit 0 until someone came on. then asked for the cli and they called uw instead of me being transferred to them. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 13
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

I called them one time about 6-8 months ago and asked for a senior credit  manager. I asked them if its going to be a hard pull and they said no. Recorded conversation. Checked reports and it was a soft.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

I called them one time about 6-8 months ago and asked for a senior credit  manager. I asked them if its going to be a hard pull and they said no. Recorded conversation. Checked reports and it was a soft.

That sounds promising maybe I'll give them a call as well. Do you guys think they'll give me an increase based on my income alone? Because I only use that card maybe once a year which obviously doesn't look that good. 

Message 7 of 13
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Lets hope they do. Good luck

Message 8 of 13
wreith
Frequent Contributor

I have had the macys store card since July, I got a 600 CL when opening in store, I have used it twice since then.  I decided on a whim after reading this thread to use the chat function for a CLI.  They said they would have to review my CR, and when I asked if HP or SP they said HP.  I figured I've gone this far might as well go all the way.  They asked how much I wanted I asked for an increase to 1500, they countered with 1100, so nearly double what I started with.  So YMMV when it comes to a HP or SP, but the chat feature was pretty painless.

01/06/2015 Walmart TU 726
01/06/2015MyFico EQ 705
01/10/2014 USAA FAKO EX 728, EQ 728, TU 728
Discover It $1700, USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $11K, USAA Rewards Platinum MC $12K, CareCredit $13.2K, Chase Freedom $5000, Walmart $4500, Lowes $9800, QVC $1200, HSN $2350, Macys Red Star Store $2900, Paypal smart connect $4022, VS Angelcard $1200, Amazon Store $2500, BCE $4K, Sam's Club Discover $8500, Home Depot $7200, FNBO AMEX $7800
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wreith wrote:

I have had the macys store card since July, I got a 600 CL when opening in store, I have used it twice since then.  I decided on a whim after reading this thread to use the chat function for a CLI.  They said they would have to review my CR, and when I asked if HP or SP they said HP.  I figured I've gone this far might as well go all the way.  They asked how much I wanted I asked for an increase to 1500, they countered with 1100, so nearly double what I started with.  So YMMV when it comes to a HP or SP, but the chat feature was pretty painless.

Really helpful. Thanks. they have yet to message me back but I definitely don't want or need another hard inquiry trying to have a spotless cr for when I apply for my chase sapphire. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.