Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question about co-branded terminology

tag
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Quick question about co-branded terminology

@tinuviel wrote:

From the glossary at http://www.creditcards.com/glossary/term-cobranded-card.php:

"Co-branded card

A co-branded credit card is sponsored by two parties. Typically one is a retailer -- such as a department store, gas retailer or airline. The other is a bank or card network such as Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. With co-branded credit cards, cardholders may get merchandise discounts or rewards points when they buy from the sponsoring merchant, but can also use the cards any other retailer that takes cards from the bank or card network."

So, the Hilton Honors hotel branded credit card would definitely fall under this category.

I'm not sure how to categorize the BoA card, because if it is considered cobranded, then ALL cards would be. A Citi MasterCard. A Chase Visa. etc... And I don't believe that this is the intent behind the term "co-branded." In the case of the BoA AMEX, Band of America is the issuing bank and the card runs on the AMEX network.

Good reference.  

VISA, MC,AMEX, DISCOVER  (as networks) are brands.   

Message 11 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Quick question about co-branded terminology

@Wolf3 wrote:

@DI wrote:

To me, any card the bears the name of a bank that didn't issue the card is a co-brand card.  For example, the BOA AMEX bears the name of AMEX, but the card wasn't issued by AMEX.   That always been my understanding of co-branded cards.  I could be wrong. 

You are wrong.

Cobranded does not involve issuing bank.   The combination of a Network and Retail is co-branded.

In the first example

Hilton  and AMEX(the network) are the brands

The second card

is an AMEX card issued by BofA.

Thanks!  I figured I was wrong. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.