Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question on a CLI

tag
Pistons0
Valued Member

Quick question on a CLI

I currently have two Capital One cards one is just their plain platinum card and the other is the journey rewards card. When I got approved for both I got low CL of 300, 500 (low income and new credit) and was enrolled in their credit steps program that gives an auto CLI after your first 5 on time payments. I recieved those auto CLI of 1000, 250 three months ago. Now I have a higher income with a new job to a total of about 30k and a higher score 657 TU and I am spending about 250-400 monthly on each card which is keeping my utilization relatively high (45%) so my question is this : I know your only supposed to request a CLI every six months I believe? So does it count that they gave me an auto CLI 3 months ago? I know the limits on these cards don't get very high because they are starter cards but my score is just a bit too low to apply to a card like Chase Slate but an increase to about 1750 on each card would help my utilization issue. If it is ok for me to request a CLI is it a hard pull or a soft pull for capital one? (I will be in the market for a new auto loan in July and want as few inquieries as possible, still only have 1 in the past 6 months)

Scores 5/1/15: EX 746 TU 743 EQ 746

Capital One QS1 $3,800... Capital One QS $3,050... Amex BCE $2,000... Best Buy Store Card $1,000...Discover IT for students $500
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Quick question on a CLI

The auto CLI doesn't count. You can request a CLI 6 months from your last CLI approval. And your CL can get quite high, even with "starter cards". Smiley Happy A credit limit increase request from Capital One is always going to be a soft pull of your credit report.

Hope this helps! Smiley Wink If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Message 2 of 23
Pistons0
Valued Member

Thanks for the fast reply! I have never requested an increase so your saying I am good to go to call for an increase on both? I am a little new to credit in general but have picked up vast amounts of info on this site in three days but what is the difference between a hard and a soft pull when it comes to inquires on my credit report? Down the road say 3-6 months, after I get my new auto loan any suggestions on a middle of the spectrum card with my income and score?

Capital One QS1 $3,800... Capital One QS $3,050... Amex BCE $2,000... Best Buy Store Card $1,000...Discover IT for students $500
Message 3 of 23
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Pistons0 wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply! I have never requested an increase so your saying I am good to go to call for an increase on both? I am a little new to credit in general but have picked up vast amounts of info on this site in three days but what is the difference between a hard and a soft pull when it comes to inquires on my credit report? Down the road say 3-6 months, after I get my new auto loan any suggestions on a middle of the spectrum card with my income and score?

You just got the auto CLI 3 months ago, you cannot request another CLI with the luv button or regular CSRs for another 3 months (its 6 months between any auto or asked for CLI) with the following exception, a CLI can be requested through the EO at any time.

Message 4 of 23
Pistons0
Valued Member

So you disagree with KennyRS that I can? What is EO?

Message 5 of 23
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Pistons0 wrote:

So you disagree with KennyRS that I can? What is EO?

Yes I have never been able to get a CLI either by luv button or CSR until 6 months has passed from a previous CLI. The EO is the executive office...

Message 6 of 23
Pistons0
Valued Member

Okay thanks a lot for the info, I will just have to cut back my utilization for a couple of months until I can get that CLI.

Message 7 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Oh wow, didn't know that gdale6, thanks for the info. Pistons0, have you clicked the button on the website to ask for a CLI? I ask because, if you get a denial then the paper will say that your account recently had a credit limit change. That would definitely confirm that one would need to wait 6 months after an auto-CLI. I've never experienced this with Capital One. (An auto-CLI.)

Learn something new every day. Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 23
Pistons0
Valued Member

No I haven't done anything with CLI with either of the Cap 1 accounts in regards to calling or pressing a button, I have one other CC from a local CU that is an awesome rate (12%) but have had the same 500 CL for almost 16 months so I will request a CLI with them tomorrow and see how it goes Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 23
teo77777
Regular Contributor

I was under the impression that the Cap 1 Credit Steps program will give 1 cli, and that's all she wrote for the duration of the card???? Never had 1, but could some one chime in if I'm wrong? I'm referring to this post among others I've seen

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-Credit-Steps-Program/m-p/1626932/highlight/...

TO
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.