Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question on when (date) boa charges interest

tag
Lexi0000
Valued Member

Quick question on when (date) boa charges interest

So I've had this card for 3 years now and this is prob the 2nd time I'm being charged interest. The due date was the 16th but I paid off the balance yestrday the 17th.
I had previously made another payment, so that was the 2nd payments this month.

This morning I checked my account and I saw an interest charge, which wasn't there yesterday when I paid off the balance.

I though they charged interest at the end of the billing cycle which is usually the 18.

Can someone explain how this works?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick question on when (date) boa charges interest

Recommend reading your statement on the page that says "Paying Interest"..it's very clear that to avoid finance charges you need to pay it by the due date (not the day after)..that's then your grace period ends and you paid your previous bill in full by the previous due date.

Message 2 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Yes, you need to make the payment on or prior to the Due Date on the statement if you are PIF.

FWIW, I am carrying 0% APR Balance Transfers on both my old BofA cards, and I am able to also make charges during the month to take advantage of the BofA Deals, to get 10% or 5% back on certain transactions. I make a payment soon after these charges that includes the minimum payment, plus the new charge, plus a bit extra, and I've not been charged interest in the year I've been trying this. It maintains the 0% status of the BT. BofA is good about clearing the current items, so it should be possible to avoid interest.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Paying after the due date would incur at least the minimum interest charge.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 8
Lexi0000
Valued Member

Ok thanks guys.
Message 5 of 8
Lexi0000
Valued Member

Sorry, I've got on more question.

My bill came out today still with last month' balance + the interest. When I paid it off last Saturday, I received a message saying it will post on that day, the 17th. Why is a balance still showing on my statement?? 

Message 6 of 8
Lexi0000
Valued Member

I just saw that they've refunded me the purchase interest Smiley Happy.
They must have realized their mistake!
Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Lexi0000 wrote:
I though they charged interest at the end of the billing cycle which is usually the 18.

Can someone explain how this works?

For any cycle the order of events is:

Cycle start

Cycle end/statement date (balance reported for most cards)

Grace period (if applicable)

Payment due date

Cycles overlap a bit so the following cycle's end date typically falls shortly after the prior cycle's payment due date.

If you carried a balance it can take a coouple of cycles of paying full to address any residual interest.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.