Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question

tag
RW771
Frequent Contributor

Quick question

If you have previous CO's (paid) that still appear on your CR, what are the chances of getting approved for another card? I had a Walmart and Sams card that was CO'd back in 2007 backed by GE. Now it seems every dang furniture store and even Lowe's are all backed by GE. Do I even have a shot in the dark at getting approved or should I not even waste the inquiry and potential denial?

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Quick question

It seems to depend on what card.

JCpenney I feel I have read have given people a new JcPenney card a few years down from a old bad one.

I feel I have heard the same on Walmart and PayPal for sure... not about others.

Message 2 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

@RW771 wrote:

If you have previous CO's (paid) that still appear on your CR, what are the chances of getting approved for another card? I had a Walmart and Sams card that was CO'd back in 2007 backed by GE. Now it seems every dang furniture store and even Lowe's are all backed by GE. Do I even have a shot in the dark at getting approved or should I not even waste the inquiry and potential denial?

Why not apply?  If you have to wait for the chargeoff to go away before you're approved, the inquiry will be gone by then too.

Message 3 of 6
RW771
Frequent Contributor

@p- wrote:

@RW771 wrote:

Why not apply?  If you have to wait for the chargeoff to go away before you're approved, the inquiry will be gone by then too.

I guess I just don't want all the inquiries, since I'm also wanting to get a Home Depot card and possibly some sort of prime cc as well. That would make a total of 4 inq's, including my mortgage inquiry. I guess I'm just trying to keep my credit clean since it's taken me forever to bounce back and I'm afraid to get denied lol.

Is it better to apply on-line or in-store? Is there a better chance getting approved or a larger CL appyling in store vs. online?

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 4 of 6
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

I think it just depends on the lender, if they have been burned before by you. I have an old cap1 charge off from 2007(paid but can't get it deleted) and I currently have cap1, discover, amex, boa. All with a CO on my CR still

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RW771 wrote:

@p- wrote:

@RW771 wrote:

I guess I just don't want all the inquiries, since I'm also wanting to get a Home Depot card and possibly some sort of prime cc as well. That would make a total of 4 inq's, including my mortgage inquiry. I guess I'm just trying to keep my credit clean since it's taken me forever to bounce back and I'm afraid to get denied lol.

Is it better to apply on-line or in-store? Is there a better chance getting approved or a larger CL appyling in store vs. online?

Can you not wait and apply for whatever prime card you're looking at first?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.