Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quicksilver Annual Fee to Free?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quicksilver Annual Fee to Free?

My girlfriend has credit scores of 794, 794, and 748. She has been paying an annual fee on this card for a few years, even though her credit is great and she makes close to 6 figures. Her utilization is never above 10%, and she has an AAoA of longer than 6 years. What can we do? Is the backdoor number our only option?

I tried the chat and checking for an upgrade offer but there was none. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quicksilver Annual Fee to Free?

New app. Best odds at decent CL.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not a matter of CL, we just don't want it to have an annual fee. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not a matter of CL, we just don't want it to have an annual fee. 

If she is not looking to do a new application, she can actually call and have them switch it to it being free..  There are strong points in her favor as she has good credit and have had the card for a while.  I know someone who did it and it was switched with a simple call...  Give it a shot.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me know if she's succesful. I've tried doing that but they refused. They PCed me from a card with no rewards to the Quicksilver One but they didn't budge on the fee. I'm planning to close the card before the next fee posts to the account next year.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, definitely call EO
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Email EO to upgrade, or cancel and app new.

Message 7 of 11
Santi78342
Established Contributor

I didn't have any luck getting them to remove the annual fee when I tried, but they did credit it to me for the year. I'll do this every year and if they won't credit it or remove it completely, I'll close it.

Message 8 of 11
onstar
Established Contributor

@Santi78342 wrote:

I didn't have any luck getting them to remove the annual fee when I tried, but they did credit it to me for the year. I'll do this every year and if they won't credit it or remove it completely, I'll close it.

In 2011, I was able to permanently remove the $49 AF on a Cap One Plat. But it reported as a new TL (showed as the old card closed & new card opened as though I had a new app). Then a few months ago, this card PC'd to a QS (1.5% back; no AF). Same TL. Weird, right?

In 2011, my scores were all in the low 600s. The only other card in my wallet was a Discover card.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 9 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My girlfriend has credit scores of 794, 794, and 748. She has been paying an annual fee on this card for a few years, even though her credit is great and she makes close to 6 figures. Her utilization is never above 10%, and she has an AAoA of longer than 6 years. What can we do? Is the backdoor number our only option?

I tried the chat and checking for an upgrade offer but there was none

OP, you can try finding an EO to talk to, spend time talking to them, perhaps save the AF, or end up finding out there really isn't a path to remove the AF. But why invest all that time for a few dollars a month payoff?

App for a new card, either Quicksilver no-AF 1.5% or Venture One if you want that one. This will re-set GF relation with Capital One, they will get an updated credit report, the CL will be larger, the APR should be good, and no AF. Once she gets the better CL, will wonder why was considering just trying to get rid of the AF.

Or you can go back to trying to find an EO person to talk to and "save" the same AF money.... Her choice.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.