cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quicksilver One upgrade to Quicksilver? - UPDATE

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Quicksilver One upgrade to Quicksilver?

@Anonymous wrote:

So the Quicksilver WMC are still considered sub prime?

Certainly not to me, but keep in mind that what a card is "considered" is subjective... there are a few folks here (not necessarily on this thread) that feel all Capital One products are "sub prime"... I do not share this belief.

To me, "sub prime" is a card used for building or rebuilding, sometimes (but not always) that has an annual fee.  This would not include cards like the BCP, Amex Platinum, etc. which have annual fees and are clearly 'prime' by most any definition. 

Since the QS MasterCard is identical to the QS Visa other than the network, I consider them equals.  Actually in my own case my QS MasterCard that started off as 'Platinum' card with a high AF years ago (clearly sub-prime) has better terms than my QS Visa.  This is another reason you can't have a blanket answer to the "prime or subprime" question.

Also, you can't even use WMC or Signature as an indication of "prime", since there are numerous examples of $500 versions of each (i.e. GM WMC with $500 limits are common, and the Chase Amazon Visa with a limit as low as $500 is also now issued as a Signature).

Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you explain a bit more about this offer. I called Cap 1 about something else and the agent said I had an offer to switch to no annual fee card and I didn't really pay attention. What is the difference between these cards and is this something I want to pursue? Changing the product to regular QS, that is.
Message 12 of 37
shengnes
Valued Member

I know the main difference is the fact that there will never be an annual fee with the card. I'm not sure of what the other differences are. That was my main objective.

Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great reason. When the agent was explaining I became concerned that there was some nefarious interest thing and I didn't trust her.
Message 14 of 37
mzladyk
Established Member

I went from Platinum to QS1 to a QS. I believe I've always done it via chat. 

I've always had no AF (sine it started as Platinum with no AF, PC to QS1 then to QS, still no AF). I don't get the introductory offers, of course. My interest rate, cash back and AF stayed the same. The only thing that changed was the card type itself. 

With changing from QS1 (MC) to QS (Visa sig), I did ask if I would get a new card with the Visa logo rather it being a MC and they said no. Everything stays the same, but it will now be considered a QS card.  I will be getting a new card in the mail that says QS and not QS1, same cc number though but of course diff. exp date and ccv.

I wanted to clarify everything and before reading this thread, had initally thought QS1 was subprime and QS was prime. So I asked the Cap1 rep if, even though it will stay a MC and not Visa Sig, it will be considered a prime card vs. the QS subprime MC card. I was told I was correct - it will be considered a prime card and it will be a QS card. 

I don't really care at this point whether it's subprime or prime. I got the QS, no AF, and I get cash back at the end of the day. Good enough. I have amex too so I at least do have prime cards if this is not considered one Smiley Happy 

Message 15 of 37
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
In my book all Quicksilver MC's are sub prime... which i have 2 of after upgrades. Cap 1 prime cards would be Quicksilver Visa, Venture... etc

Im not really knocking the card, but it will be my next cards i erase from my portfolio along with my Barclay's Rewards MC. I already dumped first premier & credit one.

I do like the rewards on anything you purchase.

I disagree. When you are able to PC to a regular QS, its a QS regardless if its a MC or Visa.

BTW- You can request for a QS WMC and possibly get invited to get a QS WEMC.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 16 of 37
shengnes
Valued Member

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
In my book all Quicksilver MC's are sub prime... which i have 2 of after upgrades. Cap 1 prime cards would be Quicksilver Visa, Venture... etc

Im not really knocking the card, but it will be my next cards i erase from my portfolio along with my Barclay's Rewards MC. I already dumped first premier & credit one.

I do like the rewards on anything you purchase.

I disagree. When you are able to PC to a regular QS, its a QS regardless if its a MC or Visa.

BTW- You can request for a QS WMC and possibly get invited to get a QS WEMC.

I think when she calls back and I find out if it is actually a PC, I'll have to ask her if that is what I might get. 

Message 17 of 37
shengnes
Valued Member

@mzladyk wrote:

I went from Platinum to QS1 to a QS. I believe I've always done it via chat. 

I've always had no AF (sine it started as Platinum with no AF, PC to QS1 then to QS, still no AF). I don't get the introductory offers, of course. My interest rate, cash back and AF stayed the same. The only thing that changed was the card type itself. 

With changing from QS1 (MC) to QS (Visa sig), I did ask if I would get a new card with the Visa logo rather it being a MC and they said no. Everything stays the same, but it will now be considered a QS card.  I will be getting a new card in the mail that says QS and not QS1, same cc number though but of course diff. exp date and ccv.

I wanted to clarify everything and before reading this thread, had initally thought QS1 was subprime and QS was prime. So I asked the Cap1 rep if, even though it will stay a MC and not Visa Sig, it will be considered a prime card vs. the QS subprime MC card. I was told I was correct - it will be considered a prime card and it will be a QS card. 

I don't really care at this point whether it's subprime or prime. I got the QS, no AF, and I get cash back at the end of the day. Good enough. I have amex too so I at least do have prime cards if this is not considered one Smiley Happy 

I guess my main thought about the Prime vs Sub-Prime category is that I know you are limited to so many cards in each category. I'm hoping the next time I apply for a Cap1 card it is in the prime category when my baddies fall off next year. But it is good to know that you were told this. I might make sure I clarify as well next week when I hear back from her. I also have 2 Amex and a Discover. But what I really wanted was a QS with no AF and getting cash back as well from Cap1.

From my understanding now I'll have to wait longer to get a CLI on this then if I would have watied to combine them until June when the 6 months had past since my last one but I guess that is ok. I would rather have them combined at this point. I will continue to work on the CLI. Just will be delayed a couple of months.

Message 18 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

We I know this is an old post...but today just for the kicks...I went a simply requested to PC my Quicksilver One to Quicksilver and I got it approved.  I now don't have to pay an AF and everything pretty much remains the same.  I was quite surprised.  One thing I did learn was that Quicksilver One is for fair to average credit score and Quicksilver is Good-Excellent.  Glad to know that my scores actually do reflect good-excellent; thus maybe why Cap1 upgraded me.  Just my two cents worth.

Message 19 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quicksilver mc is sub prime as it is still considered a builder card as you need fair to good credit to get approved. Whereas the Quicksilver Visa Card you need excellent credit.
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.