Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quicksilver Visa vs MC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quicksilver Visa vs MC?

I can't find the difference between these two products.  Tried talking to CS via online chat and he provided links that didn't answer my question.  On the site it talks about the QS1 MC and the QS Visa, but not a QS MC (which I have).  I'm just wondering why when I did a product upgrade from Platinum to QS about a month back why I was given a MC; I would have preferred a Visa but didn't even know that it existed.  Can anyone explain?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Quicksilver Visa vs MC?

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't find the difference between these two products.  Tried talking to CS via online chat and he provided links that didn't answer my question.  On the site it talks about the QS1 MC and the QS Visa, but not a QS MC (which I have).  I'm just wondering why when I did a product upgrade from Platinum to QS about a month back why I was given a MC; I would have preferred a Visa but didn't even know that it existed.  Can anyone explain?

In a nutshell the only difference is the payment nextwork, one runs on MC and one is on visa

you got a MC because your platinum was a MC and cap1 almost never changes the payment network when PC'ing a card

Message 2 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@dragontears wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In a nutshell the only difference is the payment nextwork, one runs on MC and one is on visa

you got a MC because your platinum was a MC and cap1 almost never changes the payment network when PC'ing a card

+1  ^^^ This exactly.

I have both a QS Visa and a QS MasterCard; they are identical except for the payment network.

You can't app for the QS MasterCard, though... you have to PC into it.  You can also PC into a Venture One MasterCard and even Venture MasterCard, but neither of those products are available on the website for new apps, either.

FWIW, I've seen three people on here who have a Quicksilver One Visa... also a card you have to PC into. (And quite rare.)

What I've never heard of, though, is Capital One allowing someone to switch networks... so far, what you start with is what you have to keep.  I've never seen an exception to this.

Hope this helps!  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 5
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When you did a PC, Cap One kept everything the same (i.e. your card number, therefore your card network, history etc., your card terms e.g. APR, penalty APR) and simply did a little background tweak to record the rewards. 

Changing the network will prove to be a lot more administrative work for them which is understandable. 

I'm happy that Cap One allows a change from a no-reward card to a reward card at all, and that too without a credit pull. Many other banks either won't allow card changes between two different reward systems or ask for hard pulls to do it. 

There's no difference between the products except the payment network. By default platinum cards come as MCs and QS cards (not the QS1) come as Visa.

There might be some kind of profit sharing agreement between them; the assumption being that the platinum cards are lower tier and probably mean lower spend, so MC may charge a lower fee than what Visa charges for the higher tier cards like the QS. 

However, end users are rarely bothered by these contracts. The only tangible difference is if you want to use the card for foreign transactions. There's sometimes a difference of 0.5-1% between the exchange rates on MC vs Visa, and I'm not sure it always favours one of the networks.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess I'm just partial to Visa as that's the only CC I carried for 15 years until it was cancelled and I got the Cap One Platinum MC.  All of the cards that I'm looking to acquire that suit my needs are not Visa cards; I guess I sort of just wanted a Visa in my wallet since it's the most commonly used network.

I run a business and about 80% of our transactions are Visa where MC, Amex and Discover combined make up the remaining 20% or so.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.