Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quicksilver vs Venture for travel?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Quicksilver vs Venture for travel?

I'm planning on combining my Cap 1 cards in a few weeks. Currently leaning towards moving everything to the Quicksilver card unless the Venture card is really worth it for travel.  Is it better to use the rewards money that I get from the QS card for a flight or miles that I get from the Venture card?  The only experience that I have with travel rewards is from my old AMEX Delta SkyMiles cards. I still have enough miles from them to cover 3-4 more flights. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quicksilver vs Venture for travel?

QS is a 1.5% cash back card. Venture is functionally a 2% CB card with an annual fee. CapOne has very flexible definitions of travel, so you're likely to be able to use all of your Venture cash back. That makes it a straight math problem. If you're going to spend more than $11,800, Venture makes the most sense. Otherwise, QS is best. This ignores the sign up bonus, which may be important to investigate. It is also important to note that the AF is waived the first year.

Message 2 of 23
masscredit
Valued Contributor

My Venture One has no AF and the rewards are 1.25%.  Don't know how many points it takes for flights. I still have Delta SkyMiles from my old AMEX cards. Most flights that I take use 40-50K miles. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

you said venture in your first post so you actually have the venture one? then the QS is definitely better. both non AF cards and QS is 1.5% cash back redeemable for all purchases vs 1.25% cash back redeemable on travel related expenses only
Message 4 of 23
dwz55
Regular Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

My Venture One has no AF and the rewards are 1.25%.  Don't know how many points it takes for flights. I still have Delta SkyMiles from my old AMEX cards. Most flights that I take use 40-50K miles. 

40k miles is worth 400$  1mile=1cent that's all to to it.

TU 780 April 2014
EQ 797 May 2014
EX 786 May 2014
Message 5 of 23
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Sorry about that. The Venture One is a non-AF card while the QuickSilver One has an AF. They should brand them the same.  Both of mine have no AF. I'm thinking my best bet would be to combine the Venture One into my Quicksilver. That will give me at least a $19K limit. Then apply for another Venture One card later. That way I have a high limit card and can take advantage of the one time 20,000 mile bonus if aproved for the Venture One.

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you tend to use the same airline when you travel? If so, one of the airline specific cards might be good. Also, Bank of America Travel cards are good. I usually use my United Explorer because United is my airline of choice when I travel. 

Message 7 of 23
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've been using Delta for about 15 years because I've had SkyMiles. I'm down to 152K miles so they will be good for 3 more trips. Best price wins after that! AMEX was included in my BK so I doubt I'll have another relationship with them. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@masscredit wrote:

Sorry about that. The Venture One is a non-AF card while the QuickSilver One has an AF. They should brand them the same.  Both of mine have no AF. I'm thinking my best bet would be to combine the Venture One into my Quicksilver. That will give me at least a $19K limit. Then apply for another Venture One card later. That way I have a high limit card and can take advantage of the one time 20,000 mile bonus if aproved for the Venture One.

If you plan on apping for a new card after your account combination, I would app for the Venture, then before the AF hits have it converted to a Quicksilver.  I would avoid the Venture One due to the miles having a lesser value even than the Quicksilver.

Check those pre-quals... if you're an established Capital One customer chances are you'll have one for Venture.  The Venture sign up bonus is equivalent to $400, so that also makes it one to seriously look at if you're already looking to app for a Capital One card anyway.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Message 9 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@masscredit wrote:

I've been using Delta for about 15 years because I've had SkyMiles. I'm down to 152K miles so they will be good for 3 more trips. Best price wins after that! AMEX was included in my BK so I doubt I'll have another relationship with them. 

It might take a while, but it can be done... I included a Green card in my BK7 back in 2000, and I now have another Green card and a BCP.  I might not have had to wait 15 years (like you, I assumed I would always be blacklisted) but I know others here report that it does tend to take a while... but not forever!

I'll also add that even if they let you back in, they still haven't 'forgotten' about the past... I've been denied a CLI on my BCP three times (!) because of "Past negative experience with an American Express account".  I might be stuck at $1k for a while, but that's OK... I'm still able to redeem the rewards!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.