Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RBFCU or Security Service?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

RBFCU or Security Service?

I'm looking to join a localish CU, I'm in San Antonio but not military affiliated. Assuming I can get in with either. Anyone have advice on which offer the best cards and PLOC products. Still rebuilding and have 1 year left before Bk 13 falls off CR. Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: RBFCU or Security Service?

I don't know manything about RBFCU, but I can heartily recommend Security Service.  Their Power Travel Rewards card is one of absolute best cards out there if you like cash back.  3% rewards on travel, dining & gas with 10% bonus at the end of each year.  No fees of any kind, relatively low APR of 11%, even low BT APR of 7.9% (no BT fees), no cash advance fees, 2yrs for extended warranty, 120 price protection (60 or 90 days is more common).

The biggest limitation of SSFCU is that it is geographically limited, but if you can qualify, don't hesitate.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm looking to join a localish CU, I'm in San Antonio but not military affiliated. Assuming I can get in with either. Anyone have advice on which offer the best cards and PLOC products. Still rebuilding and have 1 year left before Bk 13 falls off CR. Thanks!

Join both. Like all credit unions, neither SSFCU or RBFCU is the best at everything. I am a member of SSFCU (they bought my ghetto local credit union after it failed and couldn't be happier). I am not eligible to join RBFCU so I can only tell you what I see on the website.

SSFCU is awesome for personal loans (7.75%) and they have a low rate MasterCard (7.49%). My SSFCU Personal Line of Credit (PLOC) is at 6.75% (soon to be 7% because of the Fed rate hike) the lowest I have seen at any other credit union/bank.

RBFCU beats SSFCU in deposit rates (.25% vs .10% on savings) and car loans-RBFCU kills SSFCU in car loans. RBFCU also recently came out with a 2% cash back card (SSFCU only has 1.5%) 

Both appear to be rather conservative, however. This is one of the ways they can keep costs down and provide great rates. With SSFCU be prepared to provide proof of income when applying for anything. And they are a TU puller. 

So I can recommend SSFCU and I will tell you that if I were eligible (and I feel I should be considering how many Texans are invading Denver) I would join RBFCU.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a member and fan of RBFCU.  

Their credit card products are limited (many CUs are, though), but they are competitive.

The cash-back card is 2% on everything, no limits, no fees on anything (BT, foreigh transactions, cash advances), 11ish interest rate (mine is 10.95, they go as low as 10.7 with excellent credit, but if you're rebuilding you'll be higher until you build the relationship, no matter where you go).

As mentioned above, their lending rates are great, and their terms are simple.  They do pay a good rate on savings accounts, too, and they have free checking.

The free checking comes with 10 cents per swipe cashback on the debit card, too, which doesn't seem like much but it's more than most banks do lol

I qualify through family history, but I know that they have ways to get in with "buying"  community group memberships and stuff that can get most people in, especially if you live in Texas.  They aren't advertised on the website, you have to call in to a branch and talk to someone to get the options.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We applied for RBFCU as it looks like I qualify for work.  Now they are asking for color copies of DL, SOcial Security cards and envelope from insurance co mailed in last 30 days.  Kinda crazy but I'll do it.  We appd for auto loan which they declined, stating BK.  I appd for credit card so as to not waste HP if possible, went for review, so that's likely a no.  Will finish membership anyway so later on we can hopefully use them.  Thanks for all your responses.

Message 5 of 7
creditfan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We applied for RBFCU as it looks like I qualify for work.  Now they are asking for color copies of DL, SOcial Security cards and envelope from insurance co mailed in last 30 days.  Kinda crazy but I'll do it.  We appd for auto loan which they declined, stating BK.  I appd for credit card so as to not waste HP if possible, went for review, so that's likely a no.  Will finish membership anyway so later on we can hopefully use them.  Thanks for all your responses.

you mean RBFCU use the same HP for everything like penfed does?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I read here. When I talked to the gal in the lending dept she said as long as I app for the credit card the exact same way, in our case joint, it won't do another hard pull. Yesterday when they pulled my credit, I got an alert immediately. Today i haven't received one yet for the card app.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.