Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIP Target and HSBC Discover

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

RIP Target and HSBC Discover

Born 12/2007 and 12/2008, respectively. Died February 15, 2011.

*Chokes back tears*

They led a good life now they are shredder fodder.

With 18 active TLs, and with a $200 CL on the Target and a $300 CL on the HSBC Discover, there wasn't much room for growth or advancement. They had to go. The HSBC Discover has a $59 annual fee and I paid it 2 too many times. I cancelled the Target because the $200 annoyed me. Or rather you guys' success annoyed me everytime you posted a CLI (though...congrats!).

I called HSBC Discover first. I asked the frontline CSR for a CLI. He said "no way" and then got transferred to the retention department. I again asked for a CLI and he said that there are no manual CLIs on any HSBC product. He then warned me that I would loose the points (I had 3,500, but I really don't care one bit) and that I would have to reapply at this point if I wanted the card again (he gave me the URL, No Thanks!!!).

Target came next. I got a frontline CSR and he said they don't initiate CLIs (we all knew that) and then transferred me to the retention department. That CSR tried to sweet talk me in telling me I would lose out on 5% savings (woohoo!...: / ) and that I shoul duse the card over and over and PIF each time to get that 5%. She told be the same with the CLI bit but then recalled a success story or two of CLIs after asking for CLIs despite the CSR saying "No". I almost balked, but held firm. She then offered a 10% coupon on my next purchase but I said "Nope". It was cancelled.

These were my two lowest CLs. My two newest TLs are $5,000 and $25,000 and $500 in combined lost CLs won't make much of an impact. Time to reorganize my short list. Thinking CapOne might be next.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: RIP Target and HSBC Discover

No fair! You didnt post any cremation pics this time :-(

Message 2 of 30
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

So you finally got tired of the $200 Target Card !!!!.

Message 3 of 30
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

No. Smiley Sad   We just moved and I didn't want melted plastic on my new stove.

Message 4 of 30
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Red1Blue wrote:

So you finally got tired of the $200 Target Card !!!!.

It felt good to kill it off too! No more quarterly disappointments after reading everyone's CLI success stories!

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the 5% discount at target

Message 6 of 30
mross1080
Established Contributor

Congrats! I called to cancel my HSBC Discover a couple of months ago and they waived my annual fee so its staying for one more year.

Message 7 of 30
DI
Super Contributor

I got rid of my HSBC card a while back.  That bank is a joke!!    My Target Visa is 11 years old, so I'll be with them forever. 

Message 8 of 30
mauve
Valued Contributor

My Capital One is my oldest account at 9, and my Target is second oldest at 7.5, so I guess that I'll be hanging onto them for basically ever...or until they charge me an annual fee.  Or perhaps until I hit 850.  llecs, I'm surprised your Target didn't graduate - they surprised me after a relatively short period of time by upgrading me from my $200 Target card to a $1k Target Visa.  

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 30
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@mauve wrote:

llecs, I'm surprised your Target didn't graduate - they surprised me after a relatively short period of time by upgrading me from my $200 Target card to a $1k Target Visa.  

I tried everything. I carried a large balance. I carried no balance. I used it monthly and PIF over and over. I shelved it for months at a time. Never late. Always on time. Never OTL. I tried every scenario possible to no avail. DW on the other hand got a CLI to $500 after her first month. She maxed hers out on the first purchase and was declined. She removed some items and the following month she got a CLI. : /

I didn't need to close it since there was no AF, but I got tired of juggling so many accounts. It was funny, during the mortgage process in Dec/Jan, the lender saw our 35+ combined total active TLs and gasped. "Why?!" ...I tooked it to be a rhetorical question and smiled.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.