Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising Chase Card Limit

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Raising Chase Card Limit

@CreditScholar wrote:

+1. I don't care what they refer to me as, since they're still making money. To quote Lexie "they're getting fat off my swipe fees and boy can I swipe". Smiley Very Happy

And, with the imminent launching of the EDP, going to be swiping more than ever!

Message 21 of 29
OwNt
New Contributor

I've never had any luck with automatic increases from Chase, although a lot of people have.

If after 6 months you don't receive an increase, call and speak with a credit analyst. They will increase your limit if you can satisfactorily explain why you want one.

~~Credit Cards~~
Alliant Platinum Rewards Visa, AmEx BCP, BofA Power Rewards, Bank of the West Platinum, Barclay Rewards World MC, Chase Freedom/Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thank You Preferred/Citi Dividend Select, Discover IT, FNBOmaha, Paypal MC, US Bank Cash+/US Bank Perks+.

Total: $300,000+ in lines.
Message 22 of 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

+1. I don't care what they refer to me as, since they're still making money. To quote Lexie "they're getting fat off my swipe fees and boy can I swipe". Smiley Very Happy

And, with the imminent launching of the EDP, going to be swiping more than ever!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Smiley LOL

Message 23 of 29
zjones

Thanks everyone for your help!

But alas I feel more confused then ever on what the heck to actually do lol.
Message 24 of 29
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

The easier way is to apply for another Chase product then transfer the CL over.

+1

also my experience

Message 25 of 29
Open123
Super Contributor

@zjones wrote:
But alas I feel more confused then ever on what the heck to actually do lol.

Just use the card you prefer, Freedom in this case, pay your bills however you'd like, and everything will be fine.  As a natural progression, your CLs will rise over time.

Message 26 of 29
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@zjones wrote:
Hey all Smiley Happy! I just got approved for the Chase Freedom Card and am pretty pumped!

To start off, I have fairly limited credit history (2 years) and not very high amounts on my only other 2 credit lines ($1000 secured card and $500 unsecured, both USAA).

Long story short, I was only approved for $500 on the Chase freedom and am looking to get the limit to at least $3000-$5000. Right now I charge and immediately pay off around $1000 a month on my other cards, and plan on doing that with this card now.

Has anyone had any experience getting auto limit increases doing something similar to this with their Chase cards? Will I look deadbeat paying it off completely every week? Have people just applied for a higher grade card (Sapphire, SP) after a certain amount of time and just gotten a larger limit off the bat? Thanks in advance :]

Congrats on your approval. Here's my experience w/Chase...

I got a Freedom $3k CL about 2 yrs ago and have never gotten a CLI. I have always PIF and usually before the statement cuts. In my experience and from what I've read here, Chase does NOT give auto-CLis. Maybe there is that rare exception, but in general they don't, so I wouldn't count on it. If you want a CLI from Chase you need to take the HP and see what they'll do.

I did get a Slate $6k CL last year and called to recon my CL. They declined but said I could close my Freedom and transfer the CL to Slate.

My experience with them hasn't been great. It's not been bad, per se. But in general I don't like dealing with them. The rewards on the Freedom aren't very good IMO.

I wouldn't count on getting a CLI from them, especially with them starting you out with a low CL. I'd look at getting a CU cc with hopefully a better CL and then going the CLI route with them. Once you have a card or 2 with higher CLs then other CCs will match it when you app.

Also, just to address the other issue: I have a merchant account to accept CCs in my business, and I pay a higher rate for CCs that have rewards, as well as for international cards. So, it is the businesses we're buying from that are paying for the rewards we get from the CCs.
I'm sure banks love to get interest from us, and I think that in some cases they want us to get in over our heads so we end up paying a fortune in interest. But I'm pretty sure they still do make money from the customers who PIF.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 27 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

+1. like i said earlier, it doesn't make any sense to pay interest fees just so you won't be considered a deadbeat.

many companies give such terms to customers that are essentially loss leaders. Amazon does the same and it's been pointed out in their recent press regarding amazon prime price hike. It's just not profitable for them when people subscribe to prime, and then buy a ton of cheap items separately with 2 day shipping option. To them, people under this category are considered as deadbeat. However, there's no need to switch your purchase patterns anyhow unless they start closing out accounts.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all... OP Lol

In my situation, I was approved for the Freedom card around June. Then app'do for Slate a month later. Combined the credit lines to my freedom then closed the slate. Another month later app'd for Chase sapphire preferred then approved for 8k cl. To sum it up, just wait a couple of months then apply for a different chase card then just combine the credit line together. Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.