cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rakuten Rewards Secured Mastercard, best secured credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rakuten Rewards Secured Mastercard, best secured credit card?

Hi,

I've been looking around for a good secured card and I came across this card:

https://secure.rakuten.com/ac/rakutencardsecure.aspx?sub_agent_code=214&omadtrack=RakutenCard_wb_214

I shop on Rakuten maybe once every other month but from my research, I've not found a card with high intro rewards like this. Plus, there is no annual fee for the first year so I could possibly graduate to an unsecured one without having to pay any fee. 

What do you guys think? Are there other secured cards with good rewards?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Rakuten Rewards Secured Mastercard, best secured credit card?

You can get the 1-2-3 rewards added to a bank of america secured card. 

The rakuten card is underwritten by FNBO, which (if they still work like that) manually reviews every application, so you may not hear back for a while. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

The rakuten card is underwritten by FNBO, which (if they still work like that) manually reviews every application, so you may not hear back for a while. 

That's good to know. Thanks man.

OP, the Rakuten card sounds pretty clutch though, especially if you shop there often. If you do apply, let us know how it goes. Is there a particular why you want a secured card?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

That's good to know. Thanks man.

OP, the Rakuten card sounds pretty clutch though, especially if you shop there often. If you do apply, let us know how it goes. Is there a particular why you want a secured card?

Well I think I can actually go for unsecured since my credit score is not too bad but I have a friend who has never had a credit card and doesn't really have credit history is looking to get one. 

Message 4 of 9
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

For those that need a secured card, that actually does look like a good option. 

I have an FNBO account and I do like them as a bank.  However, the points are not so great.  The balance transfer options are good though  I don't use them personally, but my niece does.  (I loaned her a card for a while and he balance is getting paid off little by little this way with less interest!)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I've been looking around for a good secured card and I came across this card:

https://secure.rakuten.com/ac/rakutencardsecure.aspx?sub_agent_code=214&omadtrack=RakutenCard_wb_214

I shop on Rakuten maybe once every other month but from my research, I've not found a card with high intro rewards like this. Plus, there is no annual fee for the first year so I could possibly graduate to an unsecured one without having to pay any fee. 

What do you guys think? Are there other secured cards with good rewards?

Wow, I applied a few days ago but they have an even better offer now. It seems like they have the same offer for their regular credit card as well.....sighh oh wells. 

Just thought some of you might wanted to know.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go with boa which if approved after a period of time you can turn it into an unsecured CL

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would go with boa which if approved after a period of time you can turn it into an unsecured CL

Rakuten's card also says that you can graduate to unsecured in as little as 11 months, which means there's a potential to not pay annual fee at all. 

Message 8 of 9
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

wonder what kind of score is needed for unsecure version

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.