cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Question about the Amazon Store Card...

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Random Question about the Amazon Store Card...

My brother and I were talking this weekend, and he already has a Capital One Journey and a Discover Student Open Road. I recommended for him to look into a store or gas card for anyplace that he frequents. He couldn't think of a physical store, but he mentioned that he buys nearly EVERYTHING off Amazon. I knew that Amazon is offering $10 off when you apply for their card at checkout, plus finance offers depending on your purchase amount. Figured as we get closer to the holidays and he accummulates a bunch of gift cards for Amazon, the store card would be a great plus for when he shops shops shops!

ANYWAYS, to the point...Is the Amazon Store Card simply an online credit account linked through Amazon? Or do they send you an actual card?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
XxRaVeNxX
Regular Contributor

Re: Random Question about the Amazon Store Card...

They said a paper card which is pointless

Chase Southwest $5000 - November 2012 Wal Mart $1000 - November 2012 NFCU Visa $5,000 - Sept 2012 NFCU NavCheck $3,000 - October 2012 Amazon $900 - Aug 2012 Kay's Jewlery $2700 - Aug 2012 Buckle $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Roaman's $250 (Shopping cart trick) - October 2012 Capital One Secured $225 - April 2012 Capital One Platinum $2500 - July 2012
Message 2 of 16
2ndTimeAround2012
Valued Member

Hello,

The amazon store card is a "paper" card just with the account #. But if he gets the Visa version thru chase, that's an actual card.

Rebuilding Mode!
Message 3 of 16
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@XxRaVeNxX wrote:

That...is incredibly weird and indeed pointless. I mean, sure, plastic would be pointless too since there is no magnetic strip to swipe away with, but at least you could treat the darn thing with respect! Welp, at least now i know Smiley Happy thanks a bunch!

Message 4 of 16
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@XxRaVeNxX wrote:

Well you need to know the account number somehow. A plastic card would serve no purpose, since there is nowhere you can ever actually swipe it.

Make sure you apply for the right one though. There seem to be multiple people who do not understand that the store and Visa cards are two different things, and are issued by businesses other than Amazon.

Message 5 of 16
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@XxRaVeNxX wrote:

Well you need to know the account number somehow. A plastic card would serve no purpose, since there is nowhere you can ever actually swipe it.

Make sure you apply for the right one though. There seem to be multiple people who do not understand that the store and Visa cards are two different things, and are issued by businesses other than Amazon.

Yeah, true, but with the whole paperless craze you would think that it would be something automatically linked to your Amazon account once you're approved! I mean since I have two Chase cards under Ultimate Rewards, I can link my reward points to Amazon with a click of a button; no account #s to enter!

But I agree, it's good to have the account number on something physical. I guess it's something to keep safe and stash after linking it to one's Amazon account in the meantime with the S.S. card, birth certificate, and other paper necessities Smiley Tongue

And don't worry, I research these things for WEEKS for myself and for family members I help out. I don't do anything until I'm sure (well...uh...there was this one time when I applied for my TD Bank credit card and even though I practiced for weeks on clicking the Cash Rewards in excitement I wound up pressing the Easy Rewards application...drat -_-). But the Amazon Visa and Amazon Store Card don't even have remotely the same card look, plus they come from two different businesses like you said, so if I somehow bypass the blue and Visa on the card, at least if "Chase" pops up in the Terms and Conditions I'll know what's what!

Message 6 of 16
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Yeah, true, but with the whole paperless craze you would think that it would be something automatically linked to your Amazon account once you're approved! I mean since I have two Chase cards under Ultimate Rewards, I can link my reward points to Amazon with a click of a button; no account #s to enter!

But I agree, it's good to have the account number on something physical. I guess it's something to keep safe and stash after linking it to one's Amazon account in the meantime with the S.S. card, birth certificate, and other paper necessities Smiley Tongue

And don't worry, I research these things for WEEKS for myself and for family members I help out. I don't do anything until I'm sure (well...uh...there was this one time when I applied for my TD Bank credit card and even though I practiced for weeks on clicking the Cash Rewards in excitement I wound up pressing the Easy Rewards application...drat -_-). But the Amazon Visa and Amazon Store Card don't even have remotely the same card look, plus they come from two different businesses like you said, so if I somehow bypass the blue and Visa on the card, at least if "Chase" pops up in the Terms and Conditions I'll know what's what!

Well it is linked to the Amazon account if he has one. Once approved you can use it immediately, but they will only ship the merchandise to the address and name that was used when applying for the card. When the card arrives and you activate it, you can ship anywhere you want.

Good on you for being a responsible person. I really dislike when people don't read and get upset because what they needed to know was in the terms and conditions. Also, good luck to him. I was instantly approved with about seven months of history for 1400, and I almost had a heart attack because I thought that limit was royalty, lol.

Message 7 of 16
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I love my Amazon store card! It is linked and shown automatically when I am checking out. The financing options are great! Plus GE is great with CLI. I doubled my CL in less than a year

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 8 of 16
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

Well it is linked to the Amazon account if he has one. Once approved you can use it immediately, but they will only ship the merchandise to the address and name that was used when applying for the card. When the card arrives and you activate it, you can ship anywhere you want.

Good on you for being a responsible person. I really dislike when people don't read and get upset because what they needed to know was in the terms and conditions. Also, good luck to him. I was instantly approved with about seven months of history for 1400, and I almost had a heart attack because I thought that limit was royalty, lol.

Yes, I did read about that while researching the card! I believe even the website warns you about that. It's amazing how many people I see on the boards or on card reviews for it very angry about that...but if you read or even briefly skim through the information, that is something that you can easily come across and know. It's not hidden or there to trick you.

My brother has had a credit history for a year and 3 months with an AAoA of 11 months but by the time he applies it should be a year...he already has the Journey at $750 CL and the Discover Student Open Road at $5000 (even I was shocked!). Plus he's an AU on my Shell Drive for Five w/ $800 and he has a student loan, so the store card should be a breeze. Wondering what the max opening limit is for that! I've seen low ones for it on average, but maybe he can get $2000 or $3000 to start! Who knows...I just feel like this type of card won't go above and beyond that Discover, based on the forum!

Message 9 of 16
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

I love my Amazon store card! It is linked and shown automatically when I am checking out. The financing options are great! Plus GE is great with CLI. I doubled my CL in less than a year

I love GE as well and totally agree with the CLI! When i first got my JCP card i got approved for $500. After a few months, it bumped up to $1000, and 3 months later after that $1800! Then for a year it just didn't increase at all...maybe they got pooped out after going from $500-$1800 Smiley Tongue I requested one myself through the automated phone service to double the limit, and this past August they did indeed approve it increased to $3600! I got itchy and since you can request a CLI every 3 months through Penney's, I was like why not? I tried for an extra $900 but it was a no go, wayyy too soon for them after doubling my limit. I really don't blame them. I'll just wait a year from now and see if they double it again Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.