Reply
Frequent Contributor
74king
Posts: 403
Registered: ‎04-08-2009
0

Re: Rate Jacked by Amex

[ Edited ]

score_building wrote:

74king wrote:  'If this has offended you on other occasions my using this term or speaking in this manner, why are you just now speaking about this. '

 

i think the hope was that it wouldn't become a pattern.  would you have rather i reported your posts instead of trying to be somewhat neighborly and approach you directly in a thread when it happened (again) and it became more clear that you either didn't realize or didn't care that some of your comments were somewhat offensive?

 

for eg. when you recently referred to someone as 'mental' and the post had to be removed due to its offensive nature?  hmmm, but as you admit yourself it is a pattern, or as you say 'the way you speak'.  sorry king, that doesn't make it OK.  but you don't have to take my word for it, if you'd rather be spouting off to a mod.

 

i generally don't have time to be offended by the questionable behaviour of others, so no worries there.  just kinda trying to look out for others, especially newcomers that may be slightly intimidated by your approach and those comments that you sometimes make that don't fall under your self assessed 99.9 helpful comment bucket :smileywink:

 

ps. kinda of surprised that you even blinked at any of my comments.  guess you're one who can dish them out but not take 'em?  do what you will with it but i aint mad atcha king just some food for thought from a fellow member.


I'm not going to get into a back and forth with you, I've stated what I wanted to state to you. Now you can do what you would like to do. If that means running to the Moderators complaining and informing about things that you don't like. Hey knock yourself out, I've broken no rules here.

 

As for that comment you referred to about "mental", well that was my opinion and I spoke facts and you know it. Maybe I was giving that person straight talk a tad bit too strong but I spoke the truth. And stated in the posting exactly what I was doing, you just didn't like what I had too say. My comment and another persons that agreed with me were deleted from that post.

 

Just let it go.... 

Message Edited by 74king on 06-26-2009 02:57 PM
Equifax 787, TransUnion 793, Experian ? FAKO--> Who Cares
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Rate Jacked by Amex

The mods are getting lots (and lots, and lots, and lots) of comments and pm's and abuse reports these days. Whenever things get tense politically and/ or economically, tempers rise on the forums and posts start getting snotty.

Raising three kids and working as a teaching assistant in a resource classrom taught me all about tough love. I found that it's important to be very clear and very straightforward when telling someone that they're making some really disastrous choices, but if you also add words that are insulting, the other person will blow off everything that you say.

People come to these forums voluntarily. It's humiliating enough having to 'fess up and ask for advice. Even at that point, sure, they haven't necessarily gotten truly honest with themselves, and they may very well still be stuck in their old, destructive thought patterns and beliefs. It's perfectly legitimate (and important) to point out mindsets that are sabotaging the member asking for help, but we ask that people share their experiences and insights, and refrain from the put-downs.

If you want someone to actually listen to you and consider your advice, that is.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Valued Member
GovtGal
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎02-06-2009
0

Re: Rate Jacked by Amex


As for that comment you referred to about "mental", well that was my opinion and I spoke facts and you know it.


Opinions and facts can be, and very often are, two different things.

 

I think all people are asking you to due is give your opinion or state the facts without name calling.  No one likes to be called unpleasant names (even if you believe it is justified).

Valued Member
GovtGal
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎02-06-2009
0

Re: Rate Jacked by Amex

meant to say:

 

"I think all people are asking you to do is give your opinion or state the facts without name calling.  No one likes to be called unpleasant names (even if you believe it is justified)."

 

 

:smileywink:

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Rate Jacked by Amex


Want2BDebtFreeNow wrote:

Well I get an email this AM with notification that my rate has increased from 6.74% to 6.99%  plus prime (10.24%) effective my August billing statement. I've had the card since for almost 10 years now and this is my oldest credit card. I am to the point that I don't really care and I am thinking of closing it just because its not worth the hassle. I've had my credit slashed by more than half (Went from 20k to less than 5k) and they were chasing the balance for a while (which they stoped). I know that as soon as I pay the balance off they are going to close it for me so might as well be proactive.

 

The sad part about it is that had this happened a year ago I probably wouldn't have cared because I knew I was a huge risk, about 10-12 Inq, Fico was down to 630's, I got a new car and my util ratio was out of control. But in the last year I have had no new inq's, brought down my util about 50% and my FICO score just reported 690 on the 23rd.

 

I attempted to call amex and of course got the scripted "due to current economic crisis" line. I asked if they were thinking of the "long term business relationship". I asked if I could close my account to freeze the rate and she said they don't do that.

 

*END OF RANT* LOL Thank you for hearing me out.



Want2BDebtFreeNow (wow, that's hard to type) --I agree with many of the responses. I wouldn't close it. Even with all the CLDs and stuff, it's still an open and presumably healthy tradeline.

I'd just throw it in the sock drawer and use it to buy the famous Slurpee once a month. You never know where things will be a year from now.

Several nights ago, I took all my bank-issued cards and stuck them in the drawer. The only thing left in my wallet are my USAA and PenFed cards. If the other guys want to close me or something, ehhh, whatever. But I'm not going to remove an active tradeline. They'll have to do that.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
New Contributor
Want2BDebtFreeNow
Posts: 73
Registered: ‎10-15-2007
0

Re: Rate Jacked by Amex

I know... I am not going to close it, but it really bites when you pay everything on time and try to the responsible thing that they can't work with you.  I have about another year before I get rid of my credit card debt.

 

 

I am however thinking of closing my HSBC card that is only about 3 years old and they lowered my CL to 307.00.  

 

Can't wait to get back to the 760's-780's! One month at a time.

 

 

As of 11/14/2012 EQ: 672

5 inqs in the last year - October 25, 2012, July 05, 2012, July 03, 2012, June 18, 2012, February 16, 2012

(Report reads them as 3) Your applications for credit in the past year
3 inquiries

Last account opened June 2012

Average age of your accounts
6 years

Number of your accounts with a missed payment
0 accounts

Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits
82% (Ouch)
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Rate Jacked by Amex


Want2BDebtFreeNow wrote:

...I am however thinking of closing my HSBC card that is only about 3 years old and they lowered my CL to 307.00.


OK, I hear ya on that one! :smileyvery-happy:

Hang in there, everyone. Eventually banks will remember that they make money by lending, not just by cashing giant checks from Uncle Sam.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}