Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Activating: They didn't get closed, and I'm taking FICO score hits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-Activating: They didn't get closed, and I'm taking FICO score hits

Going through my CR has typically been a dredging task for me. A line for each old loan (student, car, mortgages - I've refi'd my mortgage twice now), and I app'd a lot in my early 20s, I went for "aesthetic cards." After buying my house, I decided to "do the right thing" and closed a bunch of cards. So I typically only go through my CR looking for something specific.

A couple of months ago, I came across a Macy's TL, but I don't have a Macy's card. I did have a Kaufmann's card (Kaufmann's was purchased by Macy's). So I look into the account and they start asking me for DL, SSN, I told them "Um, I don't want you pulling my credit report." The CSR said, "No, we're just updating our records." Right, they pulled an inquiry and my score got hit by 6 points for "re-activating" a dormant account.

This account was opened in 1994, last used in 2000 and it was still open?

There was a TL for Home Depot/CBSD which I have been thinking this whole time is for my commercial account. But during some weekend house cleaning, I come across an old HD personal charge card. I look again at a recent CR and see there is a CL of $2,000, opened in 1997, last used in 1998 and last updated in 2003, probably when CBSD purchased them. Wow, the account looks to be still open. This explains why the CL is reporting at $2K which confused me when my commercial line is much higher, maybe $10K. Funny thing is I've been considering opening a personal HD store card for some upcoming home projects. I'll be calling today to see what my options are to get an updated card sent to me. I expect to be taking another FICO hit for this. I do hope I can just update the account like the Macy's one, I don't want to do another app.

Throw in the 35 point drop for all of my new checking/savings accounts that were recently opened and well, now that I'm subscribing to ScoreWatch, it's feeling a little devastating. As DH says, "Sometimes you need to make a mess before things can get better."
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Re-Activating: They didn't get closed, and I'm taking FICO score hits

I am making a mess too I guess.  Going for more prime cards and letting some go dormant
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep em guessing Brammy

@Anonymous wrote:
I am making a mess too I guess. Going for more prime cards and letting some go dormant

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I think I have my keepers now: Discover, Penfed and WaMu.  Time to start working on getting rid of the dogs and getting the limitd on the above up.

Message Edited by Brammy on 11-19-2007 09:28 AM
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with CBSD, so my account was closed in January 2007 for inactivity. I asked, "How long before an account gets closed for inactivity?" She replied, "Typically, 2-3 years." "And when was my last transaction?" "March 1998."

Basically, if I want another account, I'll need to re-apply. Oh well, if I had it, I was going to use it. Now I'm reconsidering getting it.

I do find it interesting how long Macy's and Home Depot kept the account open though, although their "policy" states otherwise.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy, I think you have a nice list of keepers. As a bank, I liked WaMu, but they were hit-or-miss with me with respect to my mortgage. They weren't on-time with my school and property taxes.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.