Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Authorized User Limits? Answered -

tag
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

Hello - I am thinking about adding my mother as an AU on one of my cards.  I thought I could set a CL limit for her -  I just got off the phone with someone at Citibank who said she would have access to my entire credit line.  Is this typical?  Are there some banks that allow you to set a CL for an authorized user?    Thanks  -

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Authorized User Limits?

@changingmantra2 wrote:

Hello - I am thinking about adding my mother as an AU on one of my cards.  I thought I could set a CL limit for her -  I just got off the phone with someone at Citibank who said she would have access to my entire credit line.  Is this typical?  Are there some banks that allow you to set a CL for an authorized user?    Thanks  -

If I am not mistakened only amex allows that 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 9
vpae
Established Contributor

@changingmantra2 wrote:

I thought about doing the exact same thing! I thnk with Amex you can set a limit. I'm not sure with any other banks. Hopefully more will chime in since I am curious too.

*subscribed*

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 3 of 9
maceto
Contributor

Yes Amex does this, and while you might limit your mom to only $3K it reports the whole credit line
Message 4 of 9
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

OK - I called - Barclays - Citi - Discover - Chase - and AMEX -   ONLY AMEX said I could set a limit; the minimum has to be $200 -  I can call it in or do it online.  They will mail a card directly to me - and then I am responsible for getting it to my mother.  She will then set up an account of her own on line - and she will only have access to her own transactions - 

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 5 of 9
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@changingmantra2 wrote:

OK - I called - Barclays - Citi - Discover - Chase - and AMEX -   ONLY AMEX said I could set a limit; the minimum has to be $200 -  I can call it in or do it online.  They will mail a card directly to me - and then I am responsible for getting it to my mother.  She will then set up an account of her own on line - and she will only have access to her own transactions - 

AMEX is so awesome for that. I would love to add my sister and have a set limit, but her college campus only accepts visa or mastercards. I asked at Chase, and they said this was only possible for their business cards - no dice on personal cards.

Message 6 of 9
dta
New Contributor

I believe Amex is unique with setting limits for AUs because they actually assign a different card number for the AU. Otherwise. how would they know who's who?
Freedom | BofA CR | Amex BCE | NFCU CR | CSP | Fidelity Amex | Citi AA Plat | Discover it | Amex PRG | US Airways Prem | SW RR Plus | Delta Gold | Citi Double Cash | WF Propel 360 | Chase BA
Message 7 of 9
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

Maybe so - I thought it interesting that everyone said they would not need my mother's social security number - but that her account would still report to the CBs.

― Maya Angelou
Message 8 of 9
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@changingmantra2 wrote:

Maybe so - I thought it interesting that everyone said they would not need my mother's social security number - but that her account would still report to the CBs.

Yes, they can cross-reference both of your accounts without SSN. How they do it I don't know. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.