Re: Citi Prestige - New Benefits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to apply for this card soon. How does Citi seem to be on approval criteria for the prestige? Is this their golden child A.K.A strict?

I have a clean but young file, oldest account being about 1.5 years. No inquiries in the last 6 months on EQ or TU, might have 1 on EX from apartment credit check. Will be starting a new job next month and bringing in about 23- 34K Gross

What do you think?

as long as you have decent spend and can redeem for maximum amounts... then go for it. but i have to say, you would be a minority. few people with your income would carry a card with a $450 annual fee, despite its credits and perks.

I think $3k spend for only $800 in value (typ are valued at 1.6 cents per point) is not as good as it could be. you would get more out of the life of this card if you werent trying to churn for points though.

Have you fully evaluated how you spend your money compared to how you travel for maximum redemption?

What do you mean by this?

Currently I'm not in the mindset of churning, I see long term potential in this card, I'm just curious about the sign up bonus because It has the potential to make my portion of our upcoming vacation very cheap.

sorry its late. I mean have you looked at what you spend your money on for 1 year and see where you can earn the most rewards? You would have to spend about $7000 a year on prestige card to break even. assuming you spend it all at the highest category, airfare and hotels. Do you spend over $7k a year on travel expenses?

Also too, dont forget about skip gating.

Delta sky miles are not always perfect...they recently underwent a devaluation.. They do have sales on tickets sometimes. Why dont u head over to delta and see what the cost is in miles for your trip, or cash+miles to use up those potential gift cards....

Message 11 of 39
faboo
Established Member

Also remember thank you points transfer to partners, like flying blue. Flying blue uses delta  as well. I just signed in and checkEd LAX to HNL. 15,000 points one way with 5 dollars in taxes, on delta flights

AMX BCP 32k, AMX BCE 30k, Citi Prestige 17k, Citi DC 22k, Cap1 QS1 7.8k, Walmart Mastercard 7.5k Barclay Ring 4k
Message 12 of 39
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to apply for this card soon. How does Citi seem to be on approval criteria for the prestige? Is this their golden child A.K.A strict?

I have a clean but young file, oldest account being about 1.5 years. No inquiries in the last 6 months on EQ or TU, might have 1 on EX from apartment credit check. Will be starting a new job next month and bringing in about 23- 34K Gross

What do you think?

as long as you have decent spend and can redeem for maximum amounts... then go for it. but i have to say, you would be a minority. few people with your income would carry a card with a $450 annual fee, despite its credits and perks.

I think $3k spend for only $800 in value (typ are valued at 1.6 cents per point) is not as good as it could be. you would get more out of the life of this card if you werent trying to churn for points though.

Have you fully evaluated how you spend your money compared to how you travel for maximum redemption?

Currently I'm not in the mindset of churning, I see long term potential in this card, I'm just curious about the sign up bonus because It has the potential to make my portion of our upcoming vacation very cheap.

sorry its late. I mean have you looked at what you spend your money on for 1 year and see where you can earn the most rewards? You would have to spend about $7000 a year on prestige card to break even. assuming you spend it all at the highest category, airfare and hotels. Do you spend over $7k a year on travel expenses?

Delta sky miles are not always perfect...they recently underwent a devaluation.. They do have sales on tickets sometimes. Why dont u head over to delta and see what the cost is in miles for your trip, or cash+miles to use up those potential gift cards....

So I might do this instead. I didn't know there was a 50K offer out there (only was getting 25K) and with 50K miles and $200 cash I would be saving over $800. If I buy giftcards I would fly free. 

Thank you so much for your help. 

Another question, you said points transfer 1:1? I thought I saw some fine print somewhere in T&C that said there was a fee to transfer to domestic frequent flyer programs. Do you know anything about this?

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 13 of 39
redpat
Senior Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

What do you think?

I think you are wasting your money.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 39
jsucool76
Super Contributor

there is a fee to transfer amex MR points to skymiles. check award availability through other skyteam partners and maybe transfer into them.

around how much is the ticket you want to get? are we talking like a 1500$ ticket or like a $500 ticket?

if it's a fairly cheap ticket (under 1000$) you might be best off taking advantage of the $250 credit and saving the thankyou points for when you can get max value.

thankyou points also transfer to at least one airline in each of the 3 big alliances. oneworld, star Alliance, and skyteam. this means delta awards can technically be booked with thankyou points, just through one of their partners. in this case it would be flyingblue. try checking award availability for your flight with them.
Message 15 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

What do you think?

So I might do this instead. I didn't know there was a 50K offer out there (only was getting 25K) and with 50K miles and $200 cash I would be saving over $800. If I buy giftcards I would fly free. 

Another question, you said points transfer 1:1? I thought I saw some fine print somewhere in T&C that said there was a fee to transfer to domestic frequent flyer programs. Do you know anything about this?

you will pay an excise fee. internet says 50k mr points costs about $30 to transfer.

I would not redeem the points for gift cards unless that is what you get the best value from. you wont see the 50k offer unless you open a blocked/inprivate browser window or incognito on chrome, and google amex prg 50k.  

Did you go to delta and price your round trip ticket in miles, miles and cash, and just cash? What were the amounts???

Message 16 of 39
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

What do you think?

you will pay an excise fee. internet says 50k mr points costs about $30 to transfer.

I would not redeem the points for gift cards unless that is what you get the best value from. you wont see the 50k offer unless you open a blocked/inprivate browser window or incognito on chrome, and google amex prg 50k.  

Did you go to delta and price your round trip ticket in miles, miles and cash, and just cash? What were the amounts???

I was talking using the $100 credit to buy a delta giftcard to pay for the flight.

Delta wanted $1050 cash, 60K points, or 50K and $179 cash, which is what I was looking towards and using the $100 travel credit to pay for part of that.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 17 of 39
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
there is a fee to transfer amex MR points to skymiles. check award availability through other skyteam partners and maybe transfer into them.

around how much is the ticket you want to get? are we talking like a 1500$ ticket or like a $500 ticket?

if it's a fairly cheap ticket (under 1000$) you might be best off taking advantage of the $250 credit and saving the thankyou points for when you can get max value.

thankyou points also transfer to at least one airline in each of the 3 big alliances. oneworld, star Alliance, and skyteam. this means delta awards can technically be booked with thankyou points, just through one of their partners. in this case it would be flyingblue. try checking award availability for your flight with them.

Again, sorry I am new to traveling, what do you mean award availability through skyteam?

LOL we're learning today

Message 18 of 39
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

If you're set on flying Delta don't get the Prestige. The $625 in airfare is for AA because you get a bonus for using your points to book AA through the Citi site. 

If you are doing Delta I would ge tthe Delta Gold Card. It has a 60k signup bonus, $50 statement credit for Delta purchase + no AF the first year. That would be the minimum. You also could do the Delat Platinum for additional miles but it has a $195 AF that is not waived. The PRG also has a 50k offer that waives the fee for the first year plus $100 airline credit . 

If you are flying Delta stick to one of the Amex cards. Prestige is good for other benefits but not for Delta. 

Message 19 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrZoidberg wrote:

If you're set on flying Delta don't get the Prestige. The $625 in airfare is for AA because you get a bonus for using your points to book AA through the Citi site. 

If you are doing Delta I would ge tthe Delta Gold Card. It has a 60k signup bonus, $50 statement credit for Delta purchase + no AF the first year. That would be the minimum. You also could do the Delat Platinum for additional miles but it has a $195 AF that is not waived. The PRG also has a 50k offer that waives the fee for the first year plus $100 airline credit . 

If you are flying Delta stick to one of the Amex cards. Prestige is good for other benefits but not for Delta. 

Not true.  The 50K points from the signup offer is worth $800 for AA flights at 1.6 cents per point and $665 for other airlines at 1.33 cents per point

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.