Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-opening Macy's Card that was closed a week ago

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Re-opening Macy's Card that was closed a week ago

@Viper786 wrote:

My friend pulled his credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and there is a hard inquiry from Macys from a few days ago. I find that to be very unprofessional that they told him it is a soft inquiry but they went ahead with a hard pull.

Unfortunately this happens quite often.   Most CSRs are very uninformed about credit pulls, hard vs soft, and also credit topics in general.   I don't think they were trying to mislead ~ it was likely just a misunderstanding.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 14
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Sorry this happened to your friend.  I'm not surprised they did a HP vs. a SP.  CSRs, for any card, are notorious for spreading the wrong information because they just don't really know.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they opened a brand new card for him.  It wouldn't have really hurt much to keep the card closed.  I would read the 'Closing Credit Cards' link...I don't have it handy but most of the mods have it in their siggy.  Macy's does not report CLs yet, as they did previously, but hopefully will in the future. 

Edited to add:  it will be interesting though if they "bring back" his old card or open a whole new account altogether.  Please keep us updated!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clocktick wrote:

Sorry this happened to your friend.  I'm not surprised they did a HP vs. a SP.  CSRs, for any card, are notorious for spreading the wrong information because they just don't really know.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they opened a brand new card for him.  It wouldn't have really hurt much to keep the card closed.  I would read the 'Closing Credit Cards' link...I don't have it handy but most of the mods have it in their siggy.  Macy's does not report CLs yet, as they did previously, but hopefully will in the future. 

Edited to add:  it will be interesting though if they "bring back" his old card or open a whole new account altogether.  Please keep us updated!

Here 'tis:  fused's Closing Credit Cards

He'll be okay either way, so don't overly fret about it.

It's pretty rare for card issuers to reopen cards - but it could happen.

It's not the end of the world either way.  Smiley Wink

The good news is your friend will still have access to Macy's discounts.  They can be good.  Plus they seem to have a price match policy in store.  So take the price match policy, add the cardholder discounts and they'll come up with some pretty golden deals.

Message 13 of 14
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

They should remove it if they told him it would be a soft.

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.