Established Member
lucyblanc

Re-opening a closed account?

I had a VISA card with Wells Fargo bank opened in 2000. I had some late payments and went over my minimum once. Fearing that I would never get it under control on a regular basis, I paid off the balance and closed the account in 2006. Dumb, dumb, dumb. It was my first credit card and I was stupid. Lost all that history (even if some was bad, it was still my longest running account) 

Heard a rumor that maybe, just maybe, I could open a new credit account with Wells and ask to have the original card opening date reinstated. Does that make sense? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? If so, how?  

--------------------------------
4/13/09: EQ 632, TU 658
4/2/09: EQ 640, TU 644
Goals for 09: Learn all I can about personal finance, get as close to 700 as possible!
Mega Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: Re-opening a closed account?

amex does this, have not heard of any other banks doing it though.
Fico Scores: EQ 657 Cabelas, TU 653 Barclay, EX 699 Wells (07-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Fidelity Amex $25k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Express $300
Over 30 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Established Member
lucyblanc

Re: Re-opening a closed account?

Guess I just need to give it a try - the worst they can say is no right? If anyone has had any luck with this sort of thing, with any bank, I would love to hear your story.

Goals for 09: Learn all I can about personal finance, get as close to 700 as possible!
Established Member
lucyblanc

Re: UPDATE: Re-opening a closed account?

Well, no luck when I called Wells Fargo. And it didn't seem like trying again would prove fruitful. I was able to re-open my Nordstroms credit account though, and perhaps after a period of time with good behavior, I can vie for the few late payment dings to be adjusted - that's the plan for now anyways!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+