Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-opening a closed account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-opening a closed account?

I had a VISA card with Wells Fargo bank opened in 2000. I had some late payments and went over my minimum once. Fearing that I would never get it under control on a regular basis, I paid off the balance and closed the account in 2006. Dumb, dumb, dumb. It was my first credit card and I was stupid. Lost all that history (even if some was bad, it was still my longest running account) 

Heard a rumor that maybe, just maybe, I could open a new credit account with Wells and ask to have the original card opening date reinstated. Does that make sense? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? If so, how?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Re-opening a closed account?

amex does this, have not heard of any other banks doing it though.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Re-opening a closed account?

Guess I just need to give it a try - the worst they can say is no right? If anyone has had any luck with this sort of thing, with any bank, I would love to hear your story.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UPDATE: Re-opening a closed account?

Well, no luck when I called Wells Fargo. And it didn't seem like trying again would prove fruitful. I was able to re-open my Nordstroms credit account though, and perhaps after a period of time with good behavior, I can vie for the few late payment dings to be adjusted - that's the plan for now anyways!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.