cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-opening account, effect on FICO?

tag
Demotage

Re-opening account, effect on FICO?

I have a CC account which I closed a few years ago, in an attempt to improve my debt standing.  The account was maxed out at 25k.  I've been making regular monthly payments over the minimum and have paid it down to 15k.    The CC company says I can reopen the account if I wish.  I'm wondering if re opening this account would increase my available credit, and thus improve my ratio of debt/credit, thus improving my FICO.  I don't need to access that 10k of "available credit", I'd only do it if doing so would potentially increase my FICO. Does anyone know if it would, or are they, for instance, already counting that $10K as "available" credit in the calculation of my score?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Re-opening account, effect on FICO?

$15K/$25K is 60%.  While 60% utilization generally is not beneficial it may be better than having the closed account reporting as maxed out.  You can calculate how it would impact your overall utilization or give us the numbers if you want assistance with the math.

Message 2 of 4
Demotage

Thanks for the response.  I can do the calculation.  I'm more wondering how they count "available" credit.  Would reopening the account  count as being more available credit in the FICO calculation, or is it already counted?

Message 3 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Demotage wrote:

Thanks for the response.  I can do the calculation.  I'm more wondering how they count "available" credit.  Would reopening the account  count as being more available credit in the FICO calculation, or is it already counted?

Does your CL report on your CR's? 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.