Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reached my credit goals, what's next!?

tag
stefjay

Reached my credit goals, what's next!?

Hey all,

I've been lurking these forums for the past few years rebuilding my credit. Recently i was able to pay off a personal loan and pay off a car payment that brought my utilization down. Prior to this my credit score was in the 680 range. Did a pull yesterday only to find that all 3 reports were in the 730 range! Needless to say I am Extremely pleased with these results!!!!

My questions is what's next? Obviously maintaining this score is priority #1. I would like to add one more credit card to my wallet for times when amex isn't accepted and I need to make a large purchase. Other than that I do not forsee myself opening any additional lines of credit. Within the next year I'm hoping to purchase a home but that isn't 100% yet.

Currently whats in the wallet:

Amex platinum (daily spend, npsl) - Paid off monthly

Best buy citi ($2500 CL) - 0 balance

Capital One ($500 CL) - $300 balance

Ideally I'd like another card with better rewards to replace the amex for daily spend and only use the amex for travel. I was thinking Chase Freedom or Sapphire preferred. Cap one will be paid off next month.

Thoughts? Is now a good time to apply for an additional card?

Starting Score: MyFico: EQ 622 (3/2012)
Current Score: MyFico : EQ 734 - TU 741 - EX 747 (11/2014)
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Reached my credit goals, what's next!?

Citi Double Cash or Fidelity Amex are going to be your best every day card with no categories or limits (2%)

Message 2 of 12
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Citi Double Cash or Fidelity Amex are going to be your best every day card with no categories or limits (2%)

+1. Is the Cap One a Quicksilver, perchance? If not, I'd recommend converting it.

Also, although maintaining your score is good, having it increase more would be better Smiley Tongue Onwards and upwards!

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can try Barclay Sallie Mae. 5% cashback on gas, grocery and "books".

Message 4 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your progress!

I would suggest looking at something from BofA.

How are your interest rates? Rewards cards are nice, if you are spending a ton of money each month, (just calculate out how much 2% is per year on $3k of spend... wow, that's not much is it?) but for long term card holdings, nothing beats an APR of 10% or better, and those cards are difficult to get. Your local Credit Union may not be advertising on the web, but they often have very good APR credit card products.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

How are your interest rates? Rewards cards are nice, if you are spending a ton of money each month, (just calculate out how much 2% is per year on $3k of spend... wow, that's not much is it?) but for long term card holdings, nothing beats an APR of 10% or better, and those cards are difficult to get. Your local Credit Union may not be advertising on the web, but they often have very good APR credit card products.

OP is currently using a PIF amex plat and wants to replace that so I would be assuming rewards and who cares about interest rate when you are not carrying a balance but since you suggest BofA my Fidelity Amex suggestion just happens to be underwritten by BofA and has a 13.9% rate I believe and they actually lowered ours to 10.24%!

Message 6 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@stefjay wrote:

Hey all,

I've been lurking these forums for the past few years rebuilding my credit. Recently i was able to pay off a personal loan and pay off a car payment that brought my utilization down. Prior to this my credit score was in the 680 range. Did a pull yesterday only to find that all 3 reports were in the 730 range! Needless to say I am Extremely pleased with these results!!!!

My questions is what's next? Obviously maintaining this score is priority #1. I would like to add one more credit card to my wallet for times when amex isn't accepted and I need to make a large purchase. Other than that I do not forsee myself opening any additional lines of credit. Within the next year I'm hoping to purchase a home but that isn't 100% yet.

Currently whats in the wallet:

Amex platinum (daily spend, npsl) - Paid off monthly

Best buy citi ($2500 CL) - 0 balance

Capital One ($500 CL) - $300 balance

Ideally I'd like another card with better rewards to replace the amex for daily spend and only use the amex for travel. I was thinking Chase Freedom or Sapphire preferred. Cap one will be paid off next month.

Thoughts? Is now a good time to apply for an additional card?

Hi there.

I can't recommend any particular cards to look at. My youngest CC is almost eight years old and I'm done with applying.

Do you have a hobby? Why not play the "Tweak My FICO Score" game? That's what I did once my scores reached about 760 or so. I wanted to see just how high I could get them. But it was never an obsession and it never ruled my life.

It's just a thought and it is rather fun to do.

Message 7 of 12
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

OP is currently using a PIF amex plat and wants to replace that so I would be assuming rewards and who cares about interest rate when you are not carrying a balance but since you suggest BofA my Fidelity Amex suggestion just happens to be underwritten by BofA and has a 13.9% rate I believe and they actually lowered ours to 10.24%!

And we're back to suggesting AMEX Smiley Happy The original request was "anything but AMEX" Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

And we're back to suggesting AMEX Smiley Happy The original request was "anything but AMEX" Smiley Tongue

your right... Citi Double Cash because you can recon initial CL and good chance of future sp CLI's

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can have any brew you want. As long as it's a Corona. Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.