Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaching minimum spend on Citi Ty Preferred

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Reaching minimum spend on Citi Ty Preferred

I have to spend $2000 in the first 6 months, then another $2000 in the second 6 months of card membership to get 20k Ty points.

I do not want to miss out on this spending on my other cards that have a much higher base reward rate. Is there a way to reach this spending and still earn a good amount back on it?

Does Citi TY Pref offer any bonus points on categories or an online mall or really anything like that. Or is it 1 pt/$1 on anything and everything with no opportunities to do better.

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Reaching minimum spend on Citi Ty Preferred

it shouldn't be hard considering Christmas is around the corner, I don't know what kinda income you have, but I easily met my quota on things by telling my broke friends I can get them discounts on stuff lol, I get 6 points on bestbuy spending this month with freedom and sapphire use for travel so I just gave my friend 6% back just so I didn't have to sweat it and just to be safe lol. My friends jumped on the 6% discount for Apple products which I don't mind paying out of pocket first since I'll earn it all towards my travels anyways, like a piggy bank lol

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

it shouldn't be hard considering Christmas is around the corner, I don't know what kinda income you have, but I easily met my quota on things by telling my broke friends I can get them discounts on stuff lol, I get 6 points on bestbuy spending this month with freedom and sapphire use for travel so I just gave my friend 6% back just so I didn't have to sweat it and just to be safe lol. My friends jumped on the 6% discount for Apple products which I don't mind paying out of pocket first since I'll earn it all towards my travels anyways, like a piggy bank lol

Finding things to spend money on isn't the problem. The problem is, I have other cards that I would much rather put the spending on.

A simple thing like getting gas, I can't bring myself to put it on the TY card when I only earn 1pt/$1. I could put it on another card and get 5% or more back.

What I am asking "is there a method to earn more than 1pt/$1 on the ty card?"

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

is it 20k total points for the $4000 spent? or 20k per $2000 spent in a half year?

Message 4 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

is it 20k total points for the $4000 spent? or 20k per $2000 spent in a half year?

20k total points...not that great, I know

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

damn

it's 10k for $500 in 3 months on the website.

Message 6 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I will try to find you the offer I used. Sorry, I completely forgot where I got it.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

and 20k point ($200) after $4000 comes out to about 5% (depends on how you redeem)

that may be your best option still

Message 8 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

If you google the card, you might be able to find better offers. I was easily able to find offers for 15k points, but if you dig a bit you will find better offers.

It is against the forum rules for me to post links to these offers, because the people who have these offers make money off of them.

Message 9 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

20k total points...not that great, I know

that is a pretty sad bonus, but i think you misread what I posted earlier. If I have to meet a quota I rather fill it early than later, for my Sapphire my friends were in the market for a Macbook, so I put it on my card they handed me the cash, so it's nothing out of my pocket really. I convert my discount on products for friends Cash.  Chase has 10% cash back at Apple on Nov 28th. Just gotta help a poor friend who's been saving up for a macbook pro some help and it's fine. No having to worry about if I hit my figures or not for bonuses.

If I wanted to I could get her to give me the cash at the apple store just for the free 1year extended warrenty protection alone. But I don't mind paying out of pocket and reimbursing her for 10% cause she's a good friend strapped for cash, since I'm getting the same value added to my travel piggy bank Smiley Happy    also don't forget the 7% annual bonus Smiley Wink

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.