Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaction to the Costco conversion from Amex to Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reaction to the Costco conversion from Amex to Visa

I've been really curious how cardholders feel about this.  I'd enjoy reading replies from people who have the Costco Amex and their thoughts and feelings about the conversion.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reaction to the Costco conversion from Amex to MC

I didn't have a Costco AmEx, so my only reaction, is good, I can use one of my several MC there. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 30
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Reaction to the Costco conversion from Amex to MC

I do not have the Costco AX and use SPG or BCE but now I am already Costco ready with my Fidelity Rewards Visa Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Reaction to the Costco conversion from Amex to Visa

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been really curious how cardholders feel about this.  I'd enjoy reading replies from people who have the Costco Amex and their thoughts and feelings about the conversion.

Just to clarify, Costco is changing to Visa, not MasterCard. 

You might want to edit your post and update the subject to indicate this - that will correct how the thread appears on the forum. 

Otherwise your thread will get 'watered-down' with posts from folks correcting you instead of thoughts on the conversion.  Smiley Wink

(If you have trouble a mod can help.)

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify, Costco is changing to Visa, not MasterCard. 

You might want to edit your post and update the subject to indicate this - that will correct how the thread appears on the forum. 

Otherwise your thread will get 'watered-down' with posts from folks correcting you instead of thoughts on the conversion.  Smiley Wink

(If you have trouble a mod can help.)

Nice catch.

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought you were referring to the Canadian switch from amex to MasterCard which happened last year, under written by capital one.

For the most part, people loved it, although they had to apply for the new card, as the portfolio was not carried over.

The new Canadian Costco MasterCard has the exact same rewards as the old Canadian Costco amex
Message 6 of 30
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been really curious how cardholders feel about this.

Don't overlook the existing discussions on the topic.  There have been many threads on this.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=costco%20amex%20citi%20site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com

I'm not too worried about it but my TE is backdated so it reports as 17 years old and I'd like to keep a tradeline with that age if it works out one way or another.  The limit is also something I'd like to keep if possible.  Not too concerned about keeping a cobranded Costco card.  The TE provides little benefit to us in terms of rewards on spend and we don't shop at Costco any more.  Once this all settles I'll be terminating my membership.

Message 7 of 30
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

I don't like it since I try to exclusively use AMEX all the time, but I don't go to Costco often anyway

Message 8 of 30
EdMan63
Established Contributor

My DW has a business AmEX TE dated back to 1994 as she used to do a lot of catering. She recently decided to close it out and got a BCE with a backdate of 1994. She even added me as an AU but when the card arrived and it wasn't backdated for me since AmEx doesn't backdate the AU card, I had her cancel it. I just got a QS and don't want another new account posting to my CR. Whether or not she gets the Citi card I don't know. Either way she is an AU on my CSP and she can just use that for Costco. 

Message 9 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@EdMan63 wrote:

My DW has a business AmEX TE dated back to 1994 as she used to do a lot of catering. She recently decided to close it out and got a BCE with a backdate of 1994. She even added me as an AU but when the card arrived and it wasn't backdated for me since AmEx doesn't backdate the AU card, I had her cancel it. I just got a QS and don't want another new account posting to my CR. Whether or not she gets the Citi card I don't know. Either way she is an AU on my CSP and she can just use that for Costco. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless your DW got her BCE before March of last year, the only thing backdated is the 'Member Since' date on her physical card, not the actual account.

I got my own current Amex accounts in April 2015; each time I log in to the Amex site I'm greeted as "Member Since 1995", but my accounts report the actual opening date of 4/2015.  I missed 20 years of backdating by three weeks.  Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.