cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready To Go to the Next Level. Any suggestions??

tag
Pworld
Regular Contributor

Ready To Go to the Next Level. Any suggestions??

This is my first real post on these forums, but i have browsed around and picked up information before my last 2 car loans, and to get some collections tamed. 

I know information is key, so here are some stats. 

Scores as of this past weekend

EQ:668 TU(fico):654 EX:N/A 

Current Accounts Active

VW Credit Loan (5 years, 2 cars, never late)

U.S. Dept Education (TU shows a 90 day 2.7 years ago, EQ no lates)

Best Buy Card (800 CL, 10months, no lates, PIF)

Chase Platinum (500CL, 4 years+, old WAMU CC, never late, balance just PIF today)

Utilization

29 percent as of 8-10-12 (just paid off remaining balance, and i have $25 autopay on one CC that should keep Util under %10)

AAoA

EQ: 7 years

TU: 7 years

INQ

EQ: 3 (oldest being 10/2011 newest being 1/2012)

TU: 1 (10/2011)

Baddies

-AFNI Bloom (2008) that is being disputed and i am now using the BBB approach, since i havent gotten any response in months other ways. 

-Student Loan 90 day in 2007 on TU

-Sprint/Target Settlements agreements (i had no idea these would hurt credit at the time) 

Goals by New Year (1/2013)

1) All 3 reports above 675, and at least one above my goal of 700

2) Amex (Zync but pre-approved on site for green,gold,Blue)

3) run all my bills off this card to stop using debit card (points and security purposes)

Credit Cards I want to build my credit (dream wallet so to speak)

Amex (zync, Green, Gold)

Discover More

Virgin America/Southwest Airlines Card

Citi Thank You/ Chase freedom(maybe sapphire)

My Questions....

1) Should my recent payoff to bring my util below 10 percent yiedl me my 675+ or 700 score?

2) Should i apply for the AMEX now (as soon as my PIF balance reports) or let it cycle twice and apply after some of my INQ have fallen off in November

3) I have a Chase(check) and Citi (check and sav) account for a few years now. Citi has sent me a nice blue mailer for their Thank You preferred card. Do i have a good chance being approved since i have great standing products with them?

4) Anything else i am missing?

EDIT: I was an AU on my fathers AMEX cards (2 total) for about 4/5 years (03-07, 03-08) as reported on my CR's. How could this play into my success with AMEX?

Current EQ:809 EX: 808 TU:809

Amex Platinum/ NPSL | Amex Zync/NPSL | Amex Green/NPSL | AMEX BCP/18.1k | Chase Freedom/2.2K | Discover IT/10.9K | Amex HHonors Surpass/9K | Chase Hyatt/5k | Sapphire Preferred/13K | Ink Business Preferred/13K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Ready To Go to the Next Level. Any suggestions??

I would go for AMEX and hope to get auto backdating to 2008 which will help you a lot.  I think Zync is a great card but go for whatever charge card you want.  Hope you have proof of your previous relationship with AMEX.  Don't think the AU status unless current will really help you, but it can't hurt.  Mainly I would be going for the AAoA bump.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

App for Zync if approved app for green or gold if you want it will be  a soft pull. 

Wait for the AMEX card(s) to report with your AU based member date, it should help then you may have a better chance with the others on your list. Your score may be a bit low for the other cards, Your baddies are obviously having a big impact, your AAoA of 7 years is awesome get the AMEX card and garden for a while, in a few months and hope your score grows especially if your UTL drops a bit. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

App for Zync if approved app for green or gold if you want it will be  a soft pull. 

Wait for the AMEX card(s) to report with your AU based member date, it should help then you may have a better chance with the others on your list. Your score may be a bit low for the other cards, Your baddies are obviously having a big impact, your AAoA of 7 years is awesome get the AMEX card and garden for a while, in a few months and hope your score grows especially if your UTL drops a bit. 

I agree go for the Zync if approved go for the gold.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 10
Pworld
Regular Contributor

When you say go for the Zync then go for the green/gold. Do you mean wait to apply for the Gold/Green after 60 days? Or apply immediately after approved for a 2 for 1 hard pull?? I have heard about this quick double app. But i also read that if u apply u have to wait 30 days to apply again. 

Amex Platinum/ NPSL | Amex Zync/NPSL | Amex Green/NPSL | AMEX BCP/18.1k | Chase Freedom/2.2K | Discover IT/10.9K | Amex HHonors Surpass/9K | Chase Hyatt/5k | Sapphire Preferred/13K | Ink Business Preferred/13K
Message 5 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Pworld wrote:

When you say go for the Zync then go for the green/gold. Do you mean wait to apply for the Gold/Green after 60 days? Or apply immediately after approved for a 2 for 1 hard pull?? I have heard about this quick double app. But i also read that if u apply u have to wait 30 days to apply again. 

you don't have to wait if approved, but waiting and establishing a payment history and getting your UTL down may help.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Message 6 of 10
Pworld
Regular Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Pworld wrote:

you don't have to wait if approved, but waiting and establishing a payment history and getting your UTL down may help.

Got it!! thanks for the advice. I have the itch, but i will wait for this payment to clear just to see how it helps my scores, if any. Being that my 29 percent Util is being noted as a negative on my report. 

Message 7 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

to the OP, there's some incorrect information above:

1 - if you app and are approved for the Zync you MAY get away with apping for green or gold and it being approved based upon the intial HP, BUT IT'S NOT GUARANTEED.  It could very well be a 2nd HP despite it being seconds after the first app

2 - you do not have to wait 30 days to apply for any amex product, provided you've been approved during your last app.  Only if you were declined, will you have to wait.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 10
Pworld
Regular Contributor

Re: Ready To Go to the Next Level. Any suggestions?? UPDATE!!

Update: Approved for Zync and Green!! No need for gold and i will be happy with both of these for a while. I think i just want a discover(if anything else) and i will garden for a while. 

Notes:

-Checked EX Fako and i was a 627. I hope i get my real Fico experian with a letter from one of the cards. 

-My statement with my low balance bringing my util to under 9 percent does not cut until the 24th. But i took a chance at 29 percent. 

Thanks to all the help on this thread and encouragement, and to everybody that has shared their experiences on this forum. I loved the rich wealth of information. Now time to get to the 700's by august 2013 and knock off some more CA stuff. 

Message 9 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Ready To Go to the Next Level. Any suggestions?? UPDATE!!

congrats!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.