Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready for another credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ready for another credit card?

Hi All -

This board has been so valuable in helping me claw my way to a better credit score - I thought I'd ask you guys your opinion on my next move.  I started a few years ago with credit scores in the high 400-low 500 range. As of today, my credit scores are EQ 692 TU 680 EX 685.  I have no mortgage, no car note, and $72k/year in income.  My student loan current balance is $7800, payoff in 12/2018.  I have an unsecured loan of $20K opened with my bank in 7/2016, balance is $18K (5 yr note).  When I began trying to rebuild my credit, I got a First Progress Secured MC with a CL of $300 in 4/2015.  I charge a few things each month (gas/groceries), and pay the balance in full each time.  I just apped to Capital One in March and got approved for a Cap One Platinum card with a CL of $3k.  I charged about $600 in purchases for the first billing cycle and paid the balance in full for my first payment a couple of weeks ago.  I've got 3 inquiries total - Cap One hard pulled all 3 credit bureaus, and my bank pulled one inquiry on EX for the unsecured loan last year.  My last late payment on anything was the student loan in 12/2014.  My question is this - I'd like to get another credit card to continue my rebuilding efforts, but haven't looked into any rewards cards, as I don't think my scores are high enough.  I'd like to look into a Discover or an Amex, or even another MC or Visa,  but just not sure what I could qualify for.  Any thoughts you guys have would be most appreciated!  Thx

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Ready for another credit card?

I have no experience with Discover, but I do have Amex.  Your score is similar to mine and I have a Bk that was discharged last September.  I was approved for 2 Amex cards last month.  The first had a SL of $1000, second SL $6000.  My sister also has a lower score than yours and a more recent late pay and was approved for the BCE 2 weeks ago with a SL of $1800.  

Hope this helps!

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! That does help - what 2 Amex cards did you get approved for?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say you have a good shot with Amex and Discover. Did you try their pre qual pages yet? Also, maybe look into NFCU or PenFed as well.
Message 4 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I was approved for the BCE and ED, my sister applied and was approved for the BCE.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO Discover is the best card and customer service around. Period. With your EQ score and no negatives you should get one-but nothing is guaranteed; hence the word "should" as anything with credit is a YMMV thing.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys - this really helps.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always suggest looking up the cards you are considering in the credit pulls database as you can see those approved and denied for the same cards you are considering and you can compare their scores and some other misc data points. In looking at that data you'll be able to make a more informed decision.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.