Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to WEED all GEMB retail cards

tag
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

Ready to WEED all GEMB retail cards

I have 7 lousy GEMB store cards. The only major CC I have with them is the Dillard's AMEX.

Most have low CLs, and the quarterly CLIs are sad, sad, sad.

I will keep the Dillard's AMEX and WEED the following:

JCP

ShopNBC

Wal-Mart

Meijer

QVC

Amazon

PayPal

I remember reading somewhere that GEMB has a total exposure cap for all credit lines serviced by them for any one SSN. So maybe I can get a larger CL on the AMEX in the future if these other CLs are gone. Right now the CL on that one is only $1700.

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ready to WEED all GEMB retail cards

How long have you had them? I also have a Dillard's Amex. I got it back in April with a starting CL of $700. It went to $1700 after just 3 1/2 months. I also got a JCP card at the same time. It went from $200 -> $1500, also after just 3 1/2 months. Have you had your cards a lot longer, and what have the CLIs been like?

Another thought... you might want to consider keeping the Walmart card in addition to your Dillard's. A lot of folks have apped for it just to get the free TU FICO scores. Since you already have it, you might want to keep it around just for that benefit.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you have taken the hit already for inq and new account, none of them have annual fees... you my as well keep them all and just continue with the silly $125 CLI.

I don't know about a cap on how many lines or how much $ amount you can have over all GE accounts... but considering GE backs Lowes, CareCredit and my parents remodeled the kitchen and bath in last house and (forget the name) but it was GE backed too.

So between Lowes, CareCredit and this kitchen thing you could easily see 10k on each depending on credit, etc.

I have found that GE seems to not care about debt all that much to issue the cards but then when it comes to CLI, they do not like debt, I have had Dillards Amex since 2008 and it has only moved 2 for a total of $300!!! and I don't mean debt with them, I mean overall credit profile.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's weird because my Banana Republic card just got a 2k CLI and my overall revolving profile at the time had 35% utilization

Message 4 of 8
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

Another thought... you might want to consider keeping the Walmart card in addition to your Dillard's. A lot of folks have apped for it just to get the free TU FICO scores. Since you already have it, you might want to keep it around just for that benefit.

FWIW, you don't need to keep your walmart card to get your free FICO score.  You can still get access to it as long as you can get access you your online account.  My account was closed in 2009, logged onto the online account last week and poof, got my TU FICO score...

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 5 of 8
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

I had mostly poor results from my last round of CLI requests:

Dillard's AMEX: $700 ($700>$1700)

Wal-Mart: $100 ($1625>$1725)

Amazon: NO (stuck @ $2200)

PayPal: NO (stuck @ $2800)

Meijer: NO (stuck @ $700)

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 6 of 8
Switch2007
Contributor

It seems as though your limits aren't too bad though for GEMB. From what I've seen/ know of personally, they typically dont have very high limits. I'd say to keep them around though. Especially with the no AF. The limits with no balances could help your Utilization. (Others please correct me if I'm wrong)

Starting Score: 08/01/2009 584
Current Score: 08/01/2011 EQ 684 EX (Lender Pull) 702 TU 712
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
MagicShot
Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

I had mostly poor results from my last round of CLI requests:

Dillard's AMEX: $700 ($700>$1700)

Wal-Mart: $100 ($1625>$1725)

Amazon: NO (stuck @ $2200)

PayPal: NO (@Anonymous @ $2800)

Meijer: NO@ (stuck @ $700)

How long between cli requests and have you used them every month between cli requests?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.