cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to take the next credit step???

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Ready to take the next credit step???

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores bumped up to EQ- 682 and TU - 684 this week and I wanted to check one more time to see if anyone had any good advice before I "pulled the trigger" on a new card.  Smiley Happy 

Thanks so much to the FICO experts all over this board!

I'd say one more for now, and then hold. Get something that you can reasonably expect to keep over the years, which is why store cards come to mind.

That's interesting about the sim preferring a credit card over a store card... I don't know that it makes a huge amount of difference in the long run, though.

The reason I wrote to get one more for now and then hold is because a full 6 months and then 12 months of clean history will really help your scores and your overall credit profile. A lot of people get a half dozen $500 CL cards and then seem to get stuck.

I would definitely check into a local credit union. You don't need to bother with the biggies that you read about here, unless you're eligible for Navy FCU perhaps --just check some out in your area. If they want to start you with a secured card, I would definitely ask if it will convert to unsecured, and if so, under what circumstances, and will it keep the history (opening date, etc) of the secured stage.

Congrats on the turn-around!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 12
lkcrew426
Regular Contributor

Re: Ready to take the next credit step???

@Breakthecycle2 wrote:

@cruthisfamily wrote:

With similar (limited credit low 600s score) credit, my DH was approved for US Bank Visa for $1000. Smiley Wink

Any baddies on his report? I too an trying to get this card.

He had too unpaid around $100 chargeoffs (medical) but I think they pulled a different report from the one those were shown on.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.