Not applicable

Reallocating Chase - Now a Slate Question

My chase limits are:
$1k Amazon (moved some to open Hyatt)
$6600 Freedom
$3500 Slate
$20k RC
$5k Hyatt

I want to close the Amazon. No reason for it. I am going to move it to Slate. I'm planning a BT. I'm also thinking of moving some from Freedom.

Freedom was my go to card before I found this place. Now it's just for 5% cat spending. It's a Visa Sig, but I don't think I care about that with others around if I were to care. I was going to just move $1600 to leave it at $5k. But I COULD move more if I wanted, right?

It'll just be a $3 or $4k BT, but the move I move, the better the util.

And there's no time frame (now, I know they could change rules on a whim) if I move something and change my mind and want to do something different down the line, right?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Reallocating Chase limits

As of right now you can pretty much move limits with Chase willy-nilly.

In my opinion, you "should" leave your Freedom Visa Sig at or above 5k because technically the 5k is what merits the Visa Sig. While it is unlikely to matter, I guess eventually they could end up downgrading the card if the limit is lowered (in practice, don't know if it happens).

I'd expect at some point we will see some sort of tightening up on their moving limits policy but who knows when.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can move whatever you want whenever you get ready. Thats one thing I appreciate about Chase. If your Visa sig ended up with a $500 limit it would still remain a sig.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. My luck with Chase has been every time I do something with them, it's right before or after they change the rules (missed the 140k RC, was thinking of the CSP when the 5/24 rule came about). I can't imagine what I'd get on the Freedom of any size at this point, but we'll see how brave I'll be about lowering it. 

Message 4 of 18
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Is a HP needed to move CL around with Chase?

Is a HP needed to upgrade to a Visa Sig once the limit is $5k+ or is it automatic? 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

You dont need an HP to move limits.

I dont think they upgrade to Sig on request, hardpull or not. Just need to have the 5k+ limit for a while.
Message 6 of 18
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My chase limits are:
$1k Amazon (moved some to open Hyatt)
$6600 Freedom
$3500 Slate
$20k RC
$5k Hyatt

I want to close the Amazon. No reason for it. I am going to move it to Slate. I'm planning a BT. I'm also thinking of moving some from Freedom.

Freedom was my go to card before I found this place. Now it's just for 5% cat spending. It's a Visa Sig, but I don't think I care about that with others around if I were to care. I was going to just move $1600 to leave it at $5k. But I COULD move more if I wanted, right?

It'll just be a $3 or $4k BT, but the move I move, the better the util.

And there's no time frame (now, I know they could change rules on a whim) if I move something and change my mind and want to do something different down the line, right?

I agree with closing the Amazon card - it's not doing you any favors, and it's rewards are covered by other cards this coming quarter (Freedom).

If you're planning a BT, you should be moving from the RC, not the other smaller limit cards. You can get better overall utilization if you moved 9K-10K from your RC to your Slate.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

True about the util, but I'm not willing to part with my biggest limit. I'm not planning On apping so not super concerned with score. And could always move later if I wanted.
Message 8 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
True about the util, but I'm not willing to part with my biggest limit. I'm not planning On apping so not super concerned with score. And could always move later if I wanted.

TBH unless you use the siggy benefits of the Freedom I'd move a bunch over.  My own Freedom was just fine for quarterly spending at 1K, though now I have 2K from a Chase auto-CLI of all things but I don't expect to use it other than maybe a big ticket W/D combo purchase in October which'll overrun the quarterly limit by $200 but w/e.

Never truly understood the desire for higher limits on capped rewards cards, goal is to get larger limits on select cards and I would suggest that a BT target limit is worth way more than extraneous limits on a capped rewards card like the Freedom.  FWIW I do rather agree with not moving the RC limits over but it depends on the use of your card but longer term, likely more value there than on a Slate.

        
Message 9 of 18
leoment
Frequent Contributor

I can confirm this is true. I moved all but $500 away from my Signature Freedom CL to my Slate card for a BT last year, and Chase still sent me a Signature card when they reissued my card a few months ago.

@Anonymous wrote:
You can move whatever you want whenever you get ready. Thats one thing I appreciate about Chase. If your Visa sig ended up with a $500 limit it would still remain a sig.
800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.