cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really, Barclays? Wow, Service Bites So Bad...

tag
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

Really, Barclays? Wow, Service Bites So Bad...

I closed a card on the day it was approved. After four successful apps within a couple weeks including Barclay Ring, Discover It, CSP, & NASA, I thought I would have some fun and app a card strictly for the logo; The NFL Extra Points Rewards card. Other than $100 cash back on first $500 spent-which is pretty good and would be a good card for an initial strategic purchase-it's a crappy card. Then again, we don't buy the NFL card for its rewards or being high on the credit food chain. Consumers can get approval in low 600's. A guilty pleasure.

Nonetheless, I was instant approved with a TU pull........for $5000. As this would be my lowest cl for essentially, a mediocre card, I decided to recon the cl. First, I called and the recorded message stated that wait time would be one minute. I waited eight minutes and hung up until I had more time. I called back later, and waited.......45 minutes. All so I can talk to a robot and get nowhere. I heard all the burueaucratic nonsense; I was approved on my report at the time, there is no analyst here, I can't make that decision, etc. And, another HP would be needed....for a $5000 card. I asked to speak to a cs mgr, analyst or whoever is a decision-maker. Most companies would be happy to transfer to a qualified employee to make a customer happy. I"ll say this; Barclay is no AMEX. After going through the same discussions with robot #2, I decided to cancel the card. Scarily, at no time did robot #2 even try and retain me as a customer or put in the effort. All a qualified representative had to do was stare at the screen at my application or sp. I then challenged robot #2 by asking her if she was embarrassed to not try and retain customers that pay their salaries, essentially just collecting a check. Turns out, robot #2 wasn't even a mgr. To add to the irony, the incessant recorded messages stated that 'a relationship manager will be with you shortly". One thing is certain, Barclay is clueless regarding how to maintain customer relationships.Oh well, Ring better be on their best behavior. There is an upside; I app'd out of frustration for AMEX HHilton Honors and was approved with a sp while logged into my account online.

Oh yeah, it was a Dallas Cowboy card. Yeah, I know. There's a lot of us in the NY/NJ metropolitian area, though.

.Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 827. Discover Fic0-826; CK:EQ-821; TU-819; CS-819; Total credit-$165,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-20,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa13,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-9900; Citi TYP-7,700; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

Re: Really, Barclays? Wow, Service Bites So Bad...

I'm thinking you may not have had the correct phone number.  You would want the phone number for Barclays Analyst from the backdoor numbers thread.

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@itguy_65 wrote:

I'm thinking you may not have had the correct phone number.  You would want the phone number for Barclays Analyst from the backdoor numbers thread.

Agreed with this..  If you had the right analyst, there wouldn't be a need to pull another report.

Message 3 of 13
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

I used the tel # my Barclay site said to use for cli. All they had to do was transfer me to the right person....like most credible and competent companies.

.Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 827. Discover Fic0-826; CK:EQ-821; TU-819; CS-819; Total credit-$165,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-20,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa13,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-9900; Citi TYP-7,700; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Message 4 of 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

@ScarletFever wrote:

I used the tel # my Barclay site said to use for cli. All they had to do was transfer me to the right person....like most credible and competent companies.

If it were as simple as this there wouldn't be a manicured backdoor thread, use it and see if you can reopen the account. You've been around way too long to indulge in closure by frustration with/ overinvesting in frontline csr capabilities. They could care less if a card holder wants to close a new account because 5k isn't enough.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays does, imo, have relatively bad service. The few unfortunate times i've had to call them i've been left frustrated. 

Message 6 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@ScarletFever wrote:

If it were as simple as this there wouldn't be a manicured backdoor thread, use it and see if you can reopen the account. You've been around way too long to indulge in closure by frustration with/ overinvesting in frontline csr capabilities. They could care less if a card holder wants to close a new account because 5k isn't enough.

+1 IMHO

I understand your frustration but as cowboy fan you should be use to a Jerry Jones type system ... Lol JK

Use the backdoor numbers as a valued resource

I also have a question why would you app the Hilton card while signed into your account and risk not getting the bonus of 40,000 pts for $750.00 since its a HP either way upon approval? 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ScarletFever wrote:

I then challenged robot #2 by asking her if she was embarrassed to not try and retain customers that pay their salaries, essentially just collecting a check. 

Yes, I'm sure this tactic works very well.   Why bother to insult.them?   Low paid workers who are probably timed on how quickly they dismiss calls.    You may not have appeared to them to be a particularly valuable customer, especially with multiple apps which may indicate little future spend on the card, so no effort was made, even if the rep was empowed to do so.

My Sallie Mae is also $5K, less than halt of my next lowest limit, but since it makes sense not to spend more than $1,250 per month on it, that's fine.  You were only intending to meet the bonys spend on the card anyway, so $5000 was way more than enough

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ScarletFever wrote:

I then challenged robot #2 by asking her if she was embarrassed to not try and retain customers that pay their salaries, essentially just collecting a check. 

Yes, I'm sure this tactic works very well.   Why bother to insult.them?   Low paid workers who are probably timed on how quickly they dismiss calls.    You may not have appeared to them to be a particularly valuable customer, especially with multiple apps which may indicate little future spend on the card, so no effort was made, even if the rep was empowed to do so.

My Sallie Mae is also $5K, less than halt of my next lowest limit, but since it makes sense not to spend more than $1,250 per month on it, that's fine.  You were only intending to meet the bonys spend on the card anyway, so $5000 was way more than enough

Stop using logic Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Yikes! 

Backdoor all the way.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.