Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Confused....

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Really Confused....

Ok, so my Wells Fargo CC bill was supposed to be due 1/23. I even get a bill in the mail for it.

Before I go to pay it, I log into my CC account and see there is NO due date.

"Your account is current, no payment is due. Your next payment due date is not yet scheduled."

Confused, I called WF and asked what the heck was going on.

Here is what I would do...

I have a $300 CL, so I would run $200-$300 through it (cell phone bill, cable bill, debt payments, etc), then when my paycheck comes, I would pay in full.

Since using a CC is supposed to be safer than a debit card (0 liability, easy to dispute charges, etc), I would use my CC for as many bills as possible.

However, the rep said that paying down my account 2-4 times per month could result in the "account being screwed up", and doing this too many times could "result in the account being closed".

He said making too many payments in one month resets the billing data and results in due dates being removed, amount due's being different, etc.

So what am I supposed to do, just rack up $300 on it, and pay it off the min each month while being charged interest? I don't think so.

I would think regardless of the payments I make to the account, and the charges I make, would have NO EFFECT on the due date.

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
titanofold
Established Contributor

Re: Really Confused....

Well, the CSR was wrong, kind of.

You're making your payments. That will satisfy the "Pay at least $X by [Some Date]".

If you have a balance when the statement is generated, then it will properly state how much you need to pay and when you need to pay it by. However, because it is generated several days prior and sent in the mail, it doesn't accurately reflect what you owe right this very second.

You account is unlikely to be closed. Suspended, maybe, but you would have to do an outrageous amount of spending on the card before that would become a concern.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 2 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

That CSR is likely wrong on a number of factors.

If you pay once in a given month when you have an outstanding due date, if it's more than the minimum, it will push the due date out.  That's true with BOFA, Amex, Chase, and every other lender I'm aware of.

If you pay multiple times in a month this'll happen, or if you pay early it'll happen.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Also there's a grace period anyway which it sounds like you're not even close to hitting on the assumption that you're being paid more than once a month.

In short I wouldn't worry about it, though I'm a big proponent of only paying once a month it shouldn't really be a factor.

        
Message 3 of 19
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Do some people run everything through thier CC, or is it better to use the debit card besides?

TU Fico 626

Message 4 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Do some people run everything through thier CC, or is it better to use the debit card besides?

I haven't used my debit cards in 2 years.  Not once.

        
Message 5 of 19
jspring86
Established Member

I also haven't used a debit card in a long time.  Once yo...

I also haven't used a debit card in a long time.  Once you have a decent rewards card there is no need to.

Cards: AMEX BCE-$2K, BOA 1-2-3-$2K, Barclays Arrival-$4K, Discover IT-$4K. Gardening until at least July 2014!
Message 6 of 19
titanofold
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Once my fiancée and I get our debt in order we'll be using CCs exclusively. Rewards, man, rewards!

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 7 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Revelate wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

+1

I cant remember the last time. Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 19
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

If your CL is $300 and you put $500 on the account, will you be able to spend that $500, or not?

TU Fico 626

Message 9 of 19
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I use my own income/money first (cash or debit card) then I use credit cards (Visa, Disc. etc)  for back-up so hopefully I'll never be caught with enormous CC debt and keep relatively low UTL. Store cards of course are the exception-and I don't use those often either.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.