Really Confused....

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Really Confused....

@titanofold wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Do some people run everything through thier CC, or is it better to use the debit card besides?

I haven't used my debit cards in 2 years.  Not once.

Once my fiancée and I get our debt in order we'll be using CCs exclusively. Rewards, man, rewards!

I'd make the argument that even without rewards it makes sense to do so.

I try to make myself look as profitable as possible to both my current and future lenders: while I don't go and spend any more than I would normally (silly FICO tricks such as my secured installment loan notwithstanding) I do put any spending I can on my cards.  Couple of places in the past few years mandated cash, but other than that it's a credit card for absolutely everything... then again my burn rate is sort of small compared to a lot of folks admittedly so every little bit counts Smiley Happy.

        
Message 11 of 19
barbaralee
Established Contributor

In the last 4 years I have only used my debit card for the ATM. My mother has never used a debit card IN HER LIFE and thinks they are some kind of evil voodoo, lol. Honestly, she is just worried about her account being exposed to fraud.

Message 12 of 19
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

I wouldn't max out that card if I was you.
Message 13 of 19
titanofold
Established Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

If your CL is $300 and you put $500 on the account, will you be able to spend that $500, or not?

Is it a secured card? Some systems will refuse to allow you to pay more than what's owed. Others will extend your credit by $200 until you use it up.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 14 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@killer_queen229 wrote:
I wouldn't max out that card if I was you.

Why not?  More likely to get a CLI for whatever that's worth.  Can still pay before the statement date, and if you are spending more than your limit every month, by all means pay multiple times a month.

        
Message 15 of 19
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Yes, it's a secured card.

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 16 of 19
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

Because I have always heard its bad and what if the user will need it and it's maxed out?
Message 17 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Yes, it's a secured card.

Ok, that kind of explains it a bit based on how they have the account coded but I'm sure other folks who have a secured WF CC don't run into this issue I suppose.  Yet, if you are pushing payments from your bank account a couple times per month (or whichever pattern you have established) it still shouldn't cause any adverse action from what I can see.

Message 18 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re multiple payments per month leading to account closure:  apparently that is a possibility with Wells Fargo, according to what someone was told by their Fraud Department.   They don't like their rewards card being misused, so instead of doing sensible something like capping it, they apparently look into cases where multiple times the CL is used in each month, which in turn is flagged by multiple payments per month.

So it's just possible this is applied to all of their accounts, and so could catch innocent uses of very small credit limits (although one would hope that a targetted account would be reviewed).  Or the CSR could just be wrong.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.