Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Discover?

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Really Discover?

@trumpet-205 wrote:

So this is how their frog protection works huh?

Pretty shocking that they can't even do a proper investigation following a chargeback.

I would say their fraud protection is pretty fine since if it happened on a bigger scale there would be some news coverage about this issue.  Just because one person has a problem with Discover doesn't mean we all will..

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 51 of 85
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

I would say their fraud protection is pretty fine since if it happened on a bigger scale there would be some news coverage about this issue.  Just because one person has a problem with Discover doesn't mean we all will..

But when an EO throws an attuide of "well you got your money back so I don't see what's the problem" to you, it puts serious doubt on its corporate policy of dealing with fraud.

Message 52 of 85
cluelessoregonguy
Contributor

I'd send them an invoice for the time you spent getting this fixed. Stuff like this bugs the hell out of me. Banks that don't respect the value of your time should all be chucked in a lake.

Message 53 of 85
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

But when an EO throws an attuide of "well you got your money back so I don't see what's the problem" to you, it puts serious doubt on its corporate policy of dealing with fraud.

once again what happened to OP doesn't happen to everybody .... I have had no problem with Discover and so hasn't my mother. I never had to dispute with them but my mother has and never had an issue doing it. there is a saying ... Fool me once Shame on you, Fool me twice Shame on me.   Personally once Bad experience doesn't mean Discover is "Bad" 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 54 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Involver wrote:
Discover sucks. I regret apping for their card.

You think Discover sucks. Just because a few people here are complaining about Discover doesn't mean they are "Bad". Remember how many people complain more the say good things? How many people who do complain would do it on a forum about Credit scores , Loans, and Credit cards ? I have had nothing but great Customer Service with Discover and so has my mother. 

That's very true. It's precisely why I wondered if there were any people with good customer service experiences that could share a bit. When things are going good, people typically don't write reviews and such. It's ony when things go bad that they want their voice heard.

Message 55 of 85
One7
Valued Contributor

I've had my card less than a year and other than this issue my only other problem has been trying to get a higher CL which has been impossible so far. I'm not going to get rid of this card by any means and I said YMMV in one of my earlier posts so of course it doesn't pertain to all. I'll just be more careful where I use it, I'll definitely be putting my big purchases and online purchases on my Amex and Chase cards for now on though where their fraud protection is ten times better. Even Barclay is far superior (at least in my experience) as where they sided with me instantly and solved the problem in a couple days. Unlike Discover where it took months and they just sneakily put the charge back on to my account as if I never disputed it. That EO can take his arrogance and shove it... lol. This card will get little use now.

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 56 of 85
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@One7 wrote:

I've had my card less than a year and other than this issue my only other problem has been trying to get a higher CL which has been impossible so far. I'm not going to get rid of this card by any means and I said YMMV in one of my earlier posts so of course it doesn't pertain to all. I'll just be more careful where I use it, I'll definitely be putting my big purchases and online purchases on my Amex and Chase cards for now on though where their fraud protection is ten times better. Even Barclay is far superior (at least in my experience) as where they sided with me instantly and solved the problem in a couple days. Unlike Discover where it took months and they just sneakily put the charge back on to my account as if I never disputed it. That EO can take his arrogance and shove it... lol. This card will get little use now.

+1   

My mother had never had issues with discover but had an issue with Chase a few months ago with a dsipute so it's all YMMV.   EO arrogance is bad but maybe you just got a bad person perhaps 

Message 57 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Reading this thread sort of makes me want to close out my Discover account. What's worse, I recently opened up one of their Cashback Checking accounts for the $50 bonus.

I always heard anecdotally that they had a pretty good reputation regarding disputes. Does anyone have any good experiences with them on this?

I can share a positive experience. I've been an AU on my mothers card for two years now, doesnt show up on any of my credit reports so thats a bummer. Anywho I ordered four books last semester from bookrenter.com (awful company). I returned them and have the receipt, a document of the chat with their representative which stated how the items were being returned since their "free" packing slip didnt fly with USPS when I arrived, delivery confirmation details and copies of back and forth email correspondence since then. They claimed the package never arrived, then stated an 11lb 6oz box arrived empty - must be the heaviest empty box in history, now its back to the package was never located story. I contacted Discover and the representative was great! She placed an alert for the company on the card and when they attempted to charge me an automatic extended rental fee yesterday it went through but the funds will be issued back to the card within 3 business days. Any amount they attempt to charge from this point on will have the same result. So A+ grade for them up to now. Hopefully I'll have my own card in a few months Smiley Happy

Message 58 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CallaLilyLover wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Reading this thread sort of makes me want to close out my Discover account. What's worse, I recently opened up one of their Cashback Checking accounts for the $50 bonus.

I always heard anecdotally that they had a pretty good reputation regarding disputes. Does anyone have any good experiences with them on this?

I can share a positive experience. I've been an AU on my mothers card for two years now, doesnt show up on any of my credit reports so thats a bummer. Anywho I ordered four books last semester from bookrenter.com (awful company). I returned them and have the receipt, a document of the chat with their representative which stated how the items were being returned since their "free" packing slip didnt fly with USPS when I arrived, delivery confirmation details and copies of back and forth email correspondence since then. They claimed the package never arrived, then stated an 11lb 6oz box arrived empty - must be the heaviest empty box in history, now its back to the package was never located story. I contacted Discover and the representative was great! She placed an alert for the company on the card and when they attempted to charge me an automatic extended rental fee yesterday it went through but the funds will be issued back to the card within 3 business days. Any amount they attempt to charge from this point on will have the same result. So A+ grade for them up to now. Hopefully I'll have my own card in a few months Smiley Happy

Well, at least we know they're not all bad.Smiley Very Happy

As an aside, I have noticed that Discover doesn't report for AU's. I'll definitely be keeping that in mind when I add my kid as an AU on one of my cards.

Message 59 of 85
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's very true. It's precisely why I wondered if there were any people with good customer service experiences that could share a bit. When things are going good, people typically don't write reviews and such. It's ony when things go bad that they want their voice heard.

True to that.

Nothing stands out to my experience with Discover. Besides auto CLI me once, there is nothing else going on with my Discover card. Did call them once to see if APR can be reduced but all they have is temporary offer.

At least their customer service seems to be US based with very little accent. Other than that there is nothing I can think about Discover. Overall a neutral card to me. 

Message 60 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.