Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really confused about NFCU!

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Really confused about NFCU!

They only gave me a $2k limit and 14.65% interest!!! The only baddie is a collection that will drop off in January, so it's nearly 7 years old (and only $275bal - not paid because of a dispute).

I have no debt and util under 9% ($63 balance on $2350 total avail credit.) 

They pulled my EQ, which has my lowest AAoA @ just under 1 year. 

It seems like others have written about how Navy has helped them to rebuild. Yet, they have given me a very low CL and a very high interest. I'm wishing I had just waited for the collection to come off, but from talking with them, it seems like that wasn't a big deal. Though, I don't know how reliable the info is that I'm getting since it's not the dept. that makes the credit decisions. 

I'm not really sure what my options are at this point. This new CC is going to zap my AAoA and probably lower my score, which is the opposite of my goal in applying! 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do or how to best deal w/them? I'd really like to ask for an CLI or recon, but don't know what their policies are about this.

Also, I'm shocked that they gave me such a high interest rate. It's higher than the one my local CU gave me in June, and I thought that one was high. While I'm not planning on carrying a balance, I still would rather not have such a high-rate card if it's possible. 

Does anyone know if/when/how they lower interest rates, and also, the best way to get the credit line increased. Any help would me most appreciated! Smiley Sad

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Really confused about NFCU!

@bichonmom wrote:

They only gave me a $2k limit 

($63 balance on $2350 total avail credit.) 

@They pulled my EQ, which has my lowest AAoA @ just under 1 year. 

They nearly matched in a single card your entire available credit on all of your credit accounts which you have shown less than an average of 12 payments on.  I think that's pretty generous.  Navy is a great FCU and will treat you well as you prove yourself to them.  Keep faith!

Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you bank with them? From what I've seen, those that bank with them and have DD set up get higher limits. If you don't, I would set up DD and ask for a CLI in 3-6 months. Double digits are in the near future. They will grow with you more than most. They don't really like thin files, either. Once you prove yourself to them, they'll reciprocate.

Message 3 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Give few days and ask for CLI. Once you establish relationship with them, they are very good. You'll love them rest of your life. Just relax and be happy you are in one of the best CU's in the country. They will not let you down.

Message 4 of 7
Cory
Established Contributor

I think that sometimes when a lot of the community see that someone just posted a topic about banks giving them $10K, $15K or $20K initially, every one tends to believe that if they apply for a CC, LOC, etc. that they will have the same outcome. We have to remember that when credit, loans and mortgages are being issued, things are taken into big consideration and the first is income.

I know that there are a hand full of exceptions out there, but the majority of people are either weathly, business owners, self-employed, married and have a lot of net worth/income to support their application, which would result in a higher credit line then the person making $15K to $30K a year. I use to think that every body situation is the exact same situation as me, or similar.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You still got a better deal out of them than me. $1500 CL and 17.9% APR.  I think they basically gave me the worst possible deal they could - lowest CL (ok, 1k is the lowest but still) and the APR is about as high as it can be.

I have no baddies on my report, no lates, nothing like that. Had more inquiries on my EQ than I thought I did, but that's about it. I think I used my personal (not household) income of $50k and I have no debt other than what other CC balances might have been showing at the time.  And since I already had a $3k card, it's not like they even matched my highest card. Granted, I'd only been banking with them for a few months, but I still hear of people getting sky-high limits when they apply at the same time as they join the CU.

So, go figure. Either way, you got a better card from them than I did. I'm still using their card as my my default card for 95% of my purchases, since I'm getting the 1% cash back from it. I just don't like not having the option to carry a balance if I need to, since the CL is just way too low for that. But I'm sure it'll grow over time.

But it is pretty demoralizing seeing them basically throw money/CLs to some people, when I end up being one of the unlucky ones to get stuck with a subprime limit and APR.

Message 6 of 7
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You still got a better deal out of them than me. $1500 CL and 17.9% APR.  I think they basically gave me the worst possible deal they could - lowest CL (ok, 1k is the lowest but still) and the APR is about as high as it can be.

I have no baddies on my report, no lates, nothing like that. Had more inquiries on my EQ than I thought I did, but that's about it. I think I used my personal (not household) income of $50k and I have no debt other than what other CC balances might have been showing at the time.  And since I already had a $3k card, it's not like they even matched my highest card. Granted, I'd only been banking with them for a few months, but I still hear of people getting sky-high limits when they apply at the same time as they join the CU.

So, go figure. Either way, you got a better card from them than I did. I'm still using their card as my my default card for 95% of my purchases, since I'm getting the 1% cash back from it. I just don't like not having the option to carry a balance if I need to, since the CL is just way too low for that. But I'm sure it'll grow over time.

But it is pretty demoralizing seeing them basically throw money/CLs to some people, when I end up being one of the unlucky ones to get stuck with a subprime limit and APR.

I know the feeling! Isn't that frustrating! I'm really surprised since you already have a $3k card. I only did slightly better than you.

I called to find out why I got such a low CL and high interest, and all they would tell me is that they use algorhythms so there is no discrimination. Yet, when I read the stories here, I can't make sense of it.

When I asked, they said their highest interest rate was around 19%, so you're not quite at the highest.

They did say that after 1 year, you can request a reduction in interest, which I plan to do... so you might keep that in mind as well.

I plan to ask for a CLI after 6 months, even  if it's a hard pull (which I believe it is). I'm hoping to position myself between now and then to get a good CLI from them. I'd really like at least $5k.

I hope we both get good CLIs from them! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.