Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really need some advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really need some advice

I started out this whole credit adventure with a 580 score and could barely get a Cap 1 $300.    Suffice it to say, I'm doing a lot better and managing my credit excellently.    I currently have 7 cards and I want to get rid of the subprime ones I have and get down to 3.    What I currently have:   Cap 1 Quicksilver, Cap 1 Platinum,  Credit One Visa,  Delta Amex, Barclays MC and a Walmart card.    What I want to get down to:  Venture Card (done!),  Southwest card...Barclay Arrival MC and a discover.   Should I start closing the subprime ones (Cap 1 Platiunum, Credit One Visa) and the Cap 1 QS or just leave it alone.   I honestly don't want to have this many cards just laying around.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Really need some advice

I would say yes, you're fine to close them. You have some better cards now, and I imagine the subprime cards have low limits anyway so your utilization shouldn't be adversely impacted by it.

I would go ahead Smiley Happy congrats on the newer, better cards. I understand about not wanting unused cards laying around.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, the Credit One is $500 and the Cap 1 platinum is $300 (but is about to increase due to the credit steps program).  The Quicksilver is $2300 so I imagine that one would hurt.      The Delta Amex is 1k, The new Venture is 10k and Barclays is 500, Walmart is 800

@kdm31091 wrote:

I would say yes, you're fine to close them. You have some better cards now, and I imagine the subprime cards have low limits anyway so your utilization shouldn't be adversely impacted by it.

I would go ahead Smiley Happy congrats on the newer, better cards. I understand about not wanting unused cards laying around.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct, the Credit One is $500 and the Cap 1 platinum is $300 (but is about to increase due to the credit steps program).  The Quicksilver is $2300 so I imagine that one would hurt.      The Delta Amex is 1k, The new Venture is 10k and Barclays is 500, Walmart is 800

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to hang on to the Quicksilver a little longer?

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Barclays mastercard that you have may be able to be PC'd to the arrival...have you tried that yet?

Message 5 of 14
baller4life
Super Contributor

I would keep Quicksilver for now. You can event I close it once file gets thicker. Smiley Wink Close Credit One and Cap 1,Plat for sure.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The Barclays mastercard that you have may be able to be PC'd to the arrival...have you tried that yet?

You can do that with Barclay?  I didn't know.  How would I go about doing that...just calling them up I guess?  Not sure I've had it long enough tho (got it in December) 

Message 7 of 14
Blodreina
Established Contributor

I would hang on to those Capital One cards, at least to see what CLI credit steps grants you.

Message 8 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I would definitely ditch the Cap 1 Platinum as even if you got credit steps/CLI, it's not a very useful card IMO.

I would keep the Quicksilver however. Didn't know you planned to close that one when I made my original post of advice.

Message 9 of 14
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Get rid of Credit One keep Cap 1.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.