Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really stupid question.

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

Really stupid question.

Okay, bear with me, dumb question, I know.

So the statement closing date for my Discover is today (May 27th). That's the date I need to pay by to avoid paying interest, right? I have 4 pending transactions though. I know that if those transactions are still pending by the time the statement cuts that I won't have to pay interest on them. But what if one of them posts later today, at say, 11 PM, and I don't notice it. Is there a grace period to pay the balance without being charged interest? Say, 24 hours of the statement closing date? I already have several hundred dollars of payments throughout the month, so there's no "Payment Due".

I also have a pending payment. As long as the I made the payment before the statement closes, it'll count as paying before, right?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Really stupid question.

@NewSurrender wrote:

Okay, bear with me, dumb question, I know.

So the statement closing date for my Discover is today (May 27th). That's the date I need to pay by to avoid paying interest, right? I have 4 pending transactions though. I know that if those transactions are still pending by the time the statement cuts that I won't have to pay interest on them. But what if one of them posts later today, at say, 11 PM, and I don't notice it. Is there a grace period to pay the balance without being charged interest? Say, 24 hours of the statement closing date? I already have several hundred dollars of payments throughout the month, so there's no "Payment Due".

I also have a pending payment. As long as the I made the payment before the statement closes, it'll count as paying before, right?

You have about 23 or more days grace perios after the statement closing date to pay off the charges before accuing interest. Read your T&C for exact timeframe.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 4
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

To avoid paying interest, you just need to pay the statement balance by the due date. This only applies to regular purchases, cash advances accrue interest immediately once it posts.

ETA: Discover's cash over is not considered a cash advance.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/cash-over-purchases.html

Message 3 of 4
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Bt usually start accruing interest ASAP too. Give system a couple days and it should list whatever is due. Also once statement is generated, you can pull copy online.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.