Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really want a chase sapphire preferred

tag
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Re: Really want a chase sapphire preferred

Chase Sapphire is a signature card and carries a minimum $5K limit.  I have heard of signature cards having lower limits, but $5K is the standard.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 21 of 30
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

I'm wondering why you want this card so badly? The amount you would have to spend to collect the sign-up bonus is way more than someone with your income should be spending in 3 months. You will likely end up carrying a balance and there is no introductory 0% on this card so you are starting off at a loss. The restaurant and travel rewards dont surpass the yearly fee unless you spend big in those categories. What would you say your top three reasons for wanting this card are?

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 22 of 30
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@gpfirestone wrote:

I guess I assumed they would be attempting to save some money...I forget some people like to spend every dime they earn.

You can use your CC on things that aren't solely slated for "disposable income." For example - groceries, phone bill, utilities, gas, etc. I use my CC on most, if not all, on my fixed expenses such as the ones listed. And I use the CSP for a lot of those expenses. 

I also think OP's reasons for wanting the CSP shouldn't be derided - it's easy to judge other's reasoning. The issue is whether or not the OP would be able to get the CSP. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 23 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I am pretty sure there's a member who has the CS with a $2200 CL.
Message 24 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

The CSP has a minumum credit limit of $5k?

Yes. I was told this by the chase rep directly when I apply that all CSP have to be at least 5k. Not sure about CS, but honestly I do not know why someone would want that card anyway unless they had a CSP and didn't want to pay the annual fee anymore but still wanted to keep the account open for AAoA/CL util purposes. The CSP is valuable because you can transfer points to other travel partner programs. You can't do that with CS as far as I know. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 25 of 30
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

The CSP has a minumum credit limit of $5k?

yes

Ah never knew that. How about on the regular Chase Sapphire?

No $5k minimum on the regular sapphire.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 26 of 30
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

speaking of the CSP and CS... Does anyone know if the CS approval is auto considered if not qulified for the CSP? Or are they 2 separate apps altogether? 

Message 27 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

speaking of the CSP and CS... Does anyone know if the CS approval is auto considered if not qulified for the CSP? Or are they 2 separate apps altogether? 

No. Whether or not you can ask on recon to be considered for the CS if denied the CSP is a different issue, although when I tried to recon the CSP I was never given that option and was pretty much told for any other card I had to reapply.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 28 of 30
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

two separate apps...not like apping for a store card where they try to qualify you for a higher card then if not approved try you for the lower card...with CS and CSP's, both would be separate apps

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 29 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

@gpfirestone wrote:

I guess I assumed they would be attempting to save some money...I forget some people like to spend every dime they earn.

You can use your CC on things that aren't solely slated for "disposable income." For example - groceries, phone bill, utilities, gas, etc. I use my CC on most, if not all, on my fixed expenses such as the ones listed. And I use the CSP for a lot of those expenses. 

I also think OP's reasons for wanting the CSP shouldn't be derided - it's easy to judge other's reasoning. The issue is whether or not the OP would be able to get the CSP. 

There's a huge difference in disposable income depending on whether or not he's still living at home. If he has no rent, utilities, etc. then 25k could be mostly disposable. However if he isn't financially supported by someone else, then there probably won't be much left over (if anything).

Regardless, it still won't be enough for the CSP.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.