cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason to keep Chase Freedom open versus PC'ing?

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Reason to keep Chase Freedom open versus PC'ing?

I already have a Discover IT and it seems that on many occasions, their 5% CB are the same.

I was thinking of pc'ing my freedom to another chase card. I considered the CSP but I already have an AMEX Plat that I use for travel

Just trying to find some reasons why I should not PC my freedom. My current CL is $20K on the freedom.

Any input appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Reason to keep Chase Freedom open versus PC'ing?

Do you shop online frequently? Have you compared UR Mall and ShopDiscover? ShopDiscover has smaller selection and usually more restrictions compared to UR Mall. You usually can double dip and or using another CC with UR Mall.

Also do you use the card for 1% cashback? Keep in mind that Discover only offers 1% CB when you spend past $3,000 per year (excluding warehouse, discount store, and 5% & 2% rotating categories spending).

Message 2 of 8
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Both chase and discover should release their 5% categories fairly soon - maybe a month or two it couldn't hurt to wait and see if the chase categories for 2013 are any good/don't overlap with discover.

If you aren't intrigued by chases 2013 calendar when they release it then I see no reason not to pc. 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 3 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I think labeling the csp as only a travel card undersells it. Uncategorized purchases earn 1.07 pts/dollar. Restaurants 2.14. If you travel internationally at all, having a visa with no FTf can compliment your platinum nicely. Personally, the csp is the only card left on my wish list and every time a waiter says "we don't take Amex" I want it a little more.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

IMO I would keep it until something chase offers really catches your eye. Your getting 1% on all purchases and you have the plat for travel.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

Thanks for the input all.

I will keep both open until I see the 2013 categories and also see if any of their cards catch my eye.

The SW Rapid Rewards seems lie a good deal. I'll keep my eye open.

Message 6 of 8
bribro
Valued Contributor

The only reason I can think of for PCing from Freedom to CSP would be if you want to avoid the application HP and the ding to your AAoA. That's a small price to pay for giving up the 40k points CSP signup bonus IMO, and the Freedom card compliments the CSP quite well with transferrable UR points. I would keep Freedom and apply for a new CSP.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 7 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

The biggest reason for both is that the 5% catagories don't always match, and secondly they both are limited to the first $1500 in spending, I know that I maxed out the resturant and gas station benefit on my freedom card. The biggest reason not to PC to the CSP is the $95 AF, and the fact that it will basicly duplicate benefits you allready have with other cards and the freedom card is $0 AF.  In the end you may decide for the chase  trifecta,  freedom + CSP and a chase checking account. Not sure if you can get into the program later but it will almost certainly gain you the most benefit long term if they do start pushing it again and want to let existing card members in. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.