Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasonable APR per score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reasonable APR per score?

My credit score's in the 748 range right now, it should climb perhaps up to 780+ in the next 6 months or so. What kind of APR do you think is good for that score?

Have people had APRs reduced on cash advances before? I don't expect to ever do a cash advance, but if I can push the apr down.... I might do it just on principle.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reasonable APR per score?

Sujian wrote:
My credit score's in the 748 range right now, it should climb perhaps up to 780+ in the next 6 months or so. What kind of APR do you think is good for that score?

Have people had APRs reduced on cash advances before? I don't expect to ever do a cash advance, but if I can push the apr down.... I might do it just on principle.

Don't ever do a cash advance. W/ your scores you could get a line of credit in an instance.

RE: apr vs. your score- depending on the card they will pick the "tier" of apr they want you to get. Some default very high- some don't. You can always go back and try to negotiate, they are more receptive to this action after you have been a client w/ the w/ a good history of payment, etc.

Some get success, some don't. Therefore, w/ the score you have right now- before I would take on new cards make sure you a getting the rate that you want beforehand.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm not really sure why I even asked about APRs of cash advances, more out of curiosity than anything.

How low will cards go on purchases? Commerce I've pushed down to Prime + 3.5%, haven't really harassed the other cards yet. Bank of America I'll probably start harassing soon, because I have a relatively long history with them. I'll probably start bugging Amex and Citibank once the teaser rate expires next year.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sujian wrote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure why I even asked about APRs of cash advances, more out of curiosity than anything.

How low will cards go on purchases? Commerce I've pushed down to Prime + 3.5%, haven't really harassed the other cards yet. Bank of America I'll probably start harassing soon, because I have a relatively long history with them. I'll probably start bugging Amex and Citibank once the teaser rate expires next year.

From everything that I have read and seen advertised, 8 seems to be the lowest of them all for it NOT being a teaser rate- the actual rate. But someone else may know better and may have gotten even lower.

LIke I said, the 8 being not a teaser rate, but the real rate for the life of the card as long as you use it.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if you have cc's with apr's say 12.9-15.9 would you cancel them if they didnt give you a better rate and apply for cc's with lower apr's say 7.9 to 9.9. If your scores were close to or just over 800?  Tks Vicki
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

greyhound2007 wrote:
So if you have cc's with apr's say 12.9-15.9 would you cancel them if they didnt give you a better rate and apply for cc's with lower apr's say 7.9 to 9.9. If your scores were close to or just over 800?  Tks Vicki

Me personally, I would threaten to close them, see if they lower- sometimes they will w/ threat tactics. Then if no, I would sockdrawer them if they are older than a year and figure into your average lenght of accounts and dust them off two times a year.

Then, when you need the credit I would app. for one of the low aprs good for life- but only when you need it.

From now on, w/ your scores I would be very selective of which cards you say yes too as you have the advantage of getting accepted by very good cards w/ very low rates.
You are not in the rebuidling stages (which have several levels) that some of us are- where in my story, in the beginning- I had to take whichever apr they wanted to give.

You have the leverage now-  and that is really good!
Message 6 of 7
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

A score of 748 suggests you Pay in Full each month.

I do too, so I dont worry about my APRs

Though a lower rate IS helpful during a "crisis"  but with $0 open dormant lines, I am at ease.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.