Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasonable Plan?

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Reasonable Plan?

Despite my swearing not to use the Chase Freedom card, I just like it too much.  Now I see this new Blue Cash Everyday card....

So I'm thinking after 6 months of Zync, the Blue Cash Everyday would be a great card to complement Freedom (instead of the repetitive Discover More), in which case if I was approved, I would close Zync and Discover.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Reasonable Plan?

Sounds reasonable.  If I were going to get one of these Blue Cash cards, I'd get the Preferred card, but I probably spend a lot more on groceries than you do.

By the way, just noticed that you got approved for the Zync.  Congrats!  That was a long and well fought battle. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

Sounds reasonable.  If I were going to get one of these Blue Cash cards, I'd get the Preferred card, but I probably spend a lot more on groceries than you do. 

This is true, but I certainly don't spend that much, at the time being, however, I know family members who would GREATLY benefit from that card.

:

By the way, just noticed that you got approved for the Zync.  Congrats!  That was a long and well fought battle. 

Thanks!  It was...  It involved a call to the exec offices, which number should really be added to the "Backdoor Numbers" thread, the woman really did help make a difference when they spontaneously cancelled the app "at my request?", but all is well and the card should be here soon!

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 8
BoSox617
Contributor

Hi smc733,

I would consider keeping Discover open - your existing rewards programs might change, and Discover could potentially save you more money than the Everyday card in some instances (nevermind the savings from the online shopping portal).  Plus as it ages, it'll only help your AAoA.

For example, I received the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa last December (5% gas at the pump, 2% supermarket, and 1% on everything else).  Three months later, they did away with the 2% supermarket purchase reward (argh).  In addition, about a year ago, the "everything else" reward was reduced from 1.25%, to 1%.  So I'm now researching a card that offers cash back for supermakets - that Blue Cash Preferred looks tasty Smiley Wink

Best of luck!

Message 4 of 8
DI
Super Contributor

I've only used my new Chase Freedom card for 2 weeks.  Just long enough to charge $500 for my $100 bonus.  Now, I'm waiting for the statement to generate.

But, I'm not knocking the Freedom card.  The blueprint deal is beneficial to someone who cannot afford to pay in full monthly. 

Message 5 of 8
Open123
Super Contributor

I think it's a good plan.  For no fee or tiers, the new cash back cards are great for groceries and gas. 

By the way, cograts on your Zync!  I'm glad you were approved especially the effort you put into it.  In the end, I think Amex may appreciate you more since you showed such persistence in getting one of their cards. 

It'll workout better for you in the long run.  You'll should be immune from FRs for at least a decade!

Message 6 of 8
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

smc733, I haven't been on here for quite a while, so I haven't been following your saga.  Looks like you're doin' good, though, and congrats!

I wouldn't close out the Discover card, that's a card that can really grow (and grow fast) with moderate usage.  The starting limits always seem to be low (they're a cautious bunch over there), but that shouldn't turn you off on that card.  The customer service is excellent, and the rewards can be pretty good if you use the 5% deals.

Discover has never done me wrong.  I recently expected to pay interest on a balance I carried over on my Discover card while I was traveling (I usually PIF on the statement date...that didn't happen this time).  The balance reported, and I made a payment by the due date of the following month, but just a fraction of the full amount, which was substantial.  The remaining balance was, however,  paid in full by the statement date, which was five days later.

For some reason, they didn't charge me a nickel in interest, although they were entitled to do that.  I don't know if that was a courtesy to me or not (I'd like to think it was), but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth by asking them.  What I do know is that I saved about $35 in interest charges that I actually should have paid them.

Anyways, IMO, hang onto that Discover card.  It can't hurt. 

Message 7 of 8
smc733
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone!

I wish Discover didn't have that $3000 threshold, because if it was 1%/5%, I would be using it everywhere, as the 5% categories are a little better/more widespread than Chase Freedom.  (See:  movie tickets next quarter for Discover, not Chase).

Discover really does have exceptional service (along with BofA), and for that, I do want to keep them around.

I am hoping that the 4506 Amex now has on file will keep me F/R resistant for at least a year Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.