Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilder card-First Progress

tag
tbc
New Contributor

Re: Rebuilder card-First Progress

I got it within 5 days. I believe I got it in October.  They reported Oct, Nov, and Dec.  Jan is due.

It helped my score.  I use it once a month to send my daughter cookies or shoes or a starbucks gift card to her at college.  Pay it off.  Keep utilization down.

Good luck.

Honestly after getting my NFCU secured card, its all I really use.  Love the service and no annual fee.

1-1-11 350's TU/EQ
MYFICO TU 656
EQUIFAX 593 TODAY
GOAL: HEAVEN
Message 11 of 26
tbc
New Contributor

i forgot to add, they took my deposit....called to verify and got my card 5 days after that.

1-1-11 350's TU/EQ
MYFICO TU 656
EQUIFAX 593 TODAY
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do not get a First Progress secured card. Flat out this company does something that is very underhanded in my opinion. ihave a secured card and ihave made very paymnet befor it was due and do not pay the minimum, i pay off all that i have used. When i make a paymnet from my major bank to First Progress, they hold that payment for up to ten days so for almost two weeks after you make a payment, you may not get those dollars available to charge with this card. They tell you it is becuase the must make sure your bank does not try to get those dollars back and i have checked with my bank, and they said this is not true. once the funds are out of my account they possess those dollars and my bank can not get them back.  it becomes an issue between me and FP. These guys use people trying to rebuild their credit and do something very wrong. you go on line and your payment will show as your balance will show the amount due minus your payment in days but go try to use the card and guess what....it is REJECTED. They use your money for interest and i confirmed with managers at my bank that this is not usual. Do NOT GET THIS CARD. YOU have been warned by someone like you trying to rebuild their credit. 

(Hi, vladimirk, and welcome to the forums!  I removed your additional posts along these lines from this thread, as this first post got your point across very well, and the others saying essentially the same thing didn't contribute anything helpful and only served to distract and hijack the thread.  Wanting to contribute is great and we welcome that, but please don't post the same message over and over within a single thread.  Thanks.  Welcome again!   -Scamp, Mod)

Message 13 of 26
tbc
New Contributor

I am sorry you are experiencing trouble with this cc.

I personally have not had an issue. 

I don't count on using the card everyday either.  I use it to buy a couple of things, and pay it off.

Again, using it as a rebuilder and not as an everyday card, It has not caused me issue, nor have I had the issue of them holding my funds. 

Hope things work out for you.

1-1-11 350's TU/EQ
MYFICO TU 656
EQUIFAX 593 TODAY
Message 14 of 26
Ron1
Super Contributor

My brother has this card for three months. He didn't have any problem with this card. He use it almost everyday. He paid online and they posted his payment within a day or two. It's better than his Credit One card.

Ron.

Message 15 of 26
dbslove
Contributor

I was just approved for the card and was told it should be to me before the end of the month
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad experience with them, however I think this is kind of common with the secured cards in general.

I was raging mad when I had a similar surprise with my new capital one secured card. Being a new account holder they wait quite a while before applying the payment back to the available credit line. Once I got info from everyone here at the forum and talked to cap one about it I felt better. Now I know I just have to plan ahead for those delays... sucks but not much you can do about it. Hang in there!

I was going to apply for the first progress card, but hadn't heard much about them (good or bad) so I decided to wait until I found some reviews on them. I'm still debating.

Sounds like the OP is still happy with them? Not a lot of other info regarding others experience with FP in the forum

Message 17 of 26
tbc
New Contributor

I will share one personal experience I have had with FP.

I left the United States to go visit my fiance at his new PCS.  I was gone for 3 months.  During that time, I took a job as a civil servant and was not paid for 30 days post start date.

Well, when you have rent, expenses...back here in the US, .and a dog that was injured in the process of going to the PCS.  Had some unlikely expenses. 

I came back to the US, with not much cash on hand. 

My auto that had sit for a month, due to my friend who was watching my place here, was starting my car regularly....well he got called away on assignment.....Thus my auto sat, and sat, and sat.

Long story short......had to buy some new things for the car that sat, to make it go.....lol

Being short on cash until payment from civil servant job came, I used my FP card to purchase said items.  I went over my limit by like 7 bucks.  They still approved the transaction, and did not charge me an over the limit fee.

I paid all of balance but about 100 bucks , somewhere around the 5th to 7th day post purchases. 

Again, monies were immediately applied. 

Just an experience, I have had with them.  I actually have thought about DCing this card and applying funds to my NFCU secured.  Right now, I have no issue with them.

I am sorry for the poster that had a hard time, but I also realize that when rebuilding, we as the rebuilder community need to be aware that situations may come up, where these may not be available.  Dont' rely on it for everyday use.  Use it to rebuild.  PERIOD.

Charge a few things, and pay it off.  Plan, Plan, Plan.

I am gardening, and have been gardening since December. 

As a rebuilder, I realize my credit did not go in the trash overnight and without my help.  So, I realize I won't reach heaven (my goal) for a couple of solid couple of years.

Buying a house, everything will have to wait.  Sudden quick fixes usually back fire, within a short period of time.  Time, good payment habits, and planning is what will help improve bad credit.

Good luck on anyone considering FP.

Maybe I have just been one of the lucky ones.

1-1-11 350's TU/EQ
MYFICO TU 656
EQUIFAX 593 TODAY
Message 18 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@tbc wrote:

I will share one personal experience I have had with FP.

I left the United States to go visit my fiance at his new PCS.  I was gone for 3 months.  During that time, I took a job as a civil servant and was not paid for 30 days post start date.

Well, when you have rent, expenses...back here in the US, .and a dog that was injured in the process of going to the PCS.  Had some unlikely expenses. 

I came back to the US, with not much cash on hand. 

My auto that had sit for a month, due to my friend who was watching my place here, was starting my car regularly....well he got called away on assignment.....Thus my auto sat, and sat, and sat.

Long story short......had to buy some new things for the car that sat, to make it go.....lol

Being short on cash until payment from civil servant job came, I used my FP card to purchase said items.  I went over my limit by like 7 bucks.  They still approved the transaction, and did not charge me an over the limit fee.

I paid all of balance but about 100 bucks , somewhere around the 5th to 7th day post purchases. 

Again, monies were immediately applied. 

Just an experience, I have had with them.  I actually have thought about DCing this card and applying funds to my NFCU secured.  Right now, I have no issue with them.

I am sorry for the poster that had a hard time, but I also realize that when rebuilding, we as the rebuilder community need to be aware that situations may come up, where these may not be available.  Dont' rely on it for everyday use.  Use it to rebuild.  PERIOD.

Charge a few things, and pay it off.  Plan, Plan, Plan.

I am gardening, and have been gardening since December. 

As a rebuilder, I realize my credit did not go in the trash overnight and without my help.  So, I realize I won't reach heaven (my goal) for a couple of solid couple of years.

Buying a house, everything will have to wait.  Sudden quick fixes usually back fire, within a short period of time.  Time, good payment habits, and planning is what will help improve bad credit.

Good luck on anyone considering FP.

Maybe I have just been one of the lucky ones.

Great perspective! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and your thoughtful reflection on the rebuilding experience. Very well said!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 19 of 26
dbslove
Contributor

I received my card on 4/23/12, I am hoping they will report for April. The card application and time I received it took about 7 caledar days total. I hope this will help me, since I received the card I have paid off 2 CA in full so maybe May will be a nice month for me score wise.. My total utilization of all my cards should be well within 10%..More info to follow.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.