Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit and CLI's

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Credit and CLI's

As the title states, I am in the process of recovering from a rough 12-18 months. To give a brief introduction, I am 26 years old and a college grad with some decent student loan debt. I have one active CC with BOA (my former employer actually), an open car loan, and unfortunately a few derrog/collections on my credit report. My woes began almost two years ago, around a year after I lost my mother to lung cancer. Not only was her passing a huge emotional loss but it was a financial loss as well because she was the head of my family household. My father being on social security and forced into retirement due to his own health issues, didn't have much of a 401K or savings. What he did have was spent on medical bills for himself and putting two kids through college.

When I graduated college I got a job with BOA as a personal banker which paid an ok salary for a recent grad but nothing to write home about (35-40K). With my mother gone, my brother starting college, and my father being left with all of the living expenses; of course being a good son and a big family man I pitched in. However I made some ill-advised choices along the way and bit off more than I could chew. To make a very long story short, I ended up with two car payments I couldn't afford which eventually lead to one of them being reposessed about 6 mos ago. I also had to move out of my apartment and back in with my father to help cover his living expenses and help with putting my brother through school. During this time I did have two CC's with BOA, one being the Cash Rewards and the other the BankAmericard. Since I was an employee I had special APR's on the cards and extended intro APR's rates of 15 mos on both. I was carrying high balances on both and was late on the CR card eventually causing it to be closed. I tried to have the CR card re-opened but was told since it was closed for longer than two mos I had to re apply which I knew I would be declined for.

Right now I have the BankAmericard still open but it only has a 1000k limit, the CR had a 1500k limit but obviously it is closed but the balance of that card is now paid off. As of the last two months things have taken a turn for the better. I started a new job in Sept. of last year with a very big company and worked extremely hard and performed well enough to earn a nice promotion after 8 mos. which really gave me a big bump in pay. With my annual income

being around 80-100K including incentives I really want to begin rebuilding my credit. One drawback to my new job is that I only get paid once a month. For obvious cashflow reasons I would like to have most of my monthly expenses on my credit card which would be paid down either completely or to at least 10% each month. Having a 1000k limit though makes that impossible as my monthly expenses including rent are about 2400-2500. I have a decent understanding of credit but I would love any guidance from people coming out of a similar situation. My first immediate need/want would be a CLI on my BOA CC. Or would I be better off applying for a new card with a new lender/bank? I also would like to buy a house in the next 3-5 years. My TU and EQ are 611 and 605 respectively. I do have a corporate AMEX, which I know doesn't report on my credit but I did notice the inquiry made my scores go up a few points.

I know this was a long first post but I appreciate any help/guidance. I have been lurking in these forums since my repo happened this year and have soaked up a lot of knowledge. My scores were all in the low-mid 500's just a few months ago so I have made decent progress just by bring most of my accounts current and paying off some debts. So I mainly need help with what credit cards should I apply for next and is it worth requesting a CLI with BOA now that I have substantially higher income?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Credit and CLI's

Hi CMatt.

Welcome to the forum.  Congrats on getting your scores over 600.  That is a good beginning.  You mentioned buying a house in 3-5 years, but are there any immediate goals other than a higher credit limit.   Glad you have the BOA card.  Are your student loans current?   Also you mentioned an auto repo.  Is the other car loan current?  It has been mentioned on the forum that you need 3 positive tradelines.  You might  qualify for  a Cap 1 card, but I need others to chime in with more experience in that area because I just have a secured card (although you could try the prequal site to see if anything shows up). 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the swift response, eveything is current as of now. I haven't had a late payment since Feb. of this year. Yes the most immediate need would be the CLI or if anyone thinks I would have better luck with applying for a new CC which one should I look at. From what I read, Cap one seems to start off with lower limits but if getting one and using it frequenly for a few months means I could have a substantially higher limit I would definitely consider.

Message 3 of 10
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Welcome 2 the forum.. I am sure some experts can weigh in on what course of action to take....Don't have any BoA accounts myself,but did want to welcome you here..!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked the prequal sites to see if anything shows up.  I only have a secured Cap 1 cause when I applied in January, I had several collections.  Now I only have 1 collection left.  How many inquiries do you have?  Some companies don't look at that , while others do. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I'd look into diversifying your creditors before applying for a CLI with BofA. With those scores and past derogatory, you don't want to chance them denying you and still getting a HP for it. Cap One is a great place to start, or do some store cards with shopping cart trick which sometimes won't result in a HP (other folks on this board know more about the trick than I do).

Lenders in general like to see your history with multiple lenders. Get some more under your belt and show that you're credit worthy :-)
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I have been looking at Cap One and I looked at the pre-qual page and it says I am pre-qualified for the quicksilver card and cap one platinum. How accurate are these? Pretty decent chance I would get an approval? And if so should I apply for both?
Message 7 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Cap1 prequals are pretty solid. I'd say 80%+ chances of approval. Of the two I'd say just go for the quicksilver. The platinum is pretty lackluster and has an AF. Also welcome to the forums!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I was approved for the QuickSilver One card with a $300 CL which seems standard after reading around on these forums. So it says after 5 payments I can request a CLI. What's a realistic CLI to expect? I would like to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000-7500K between both my BOA and this capital one card.
Message 9 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Honestly that can vary greatly. My expected steps CLI is $500, but I'm hoping for more. If you use the card a lot and PIF/make large payments, they may give you auto CLIs at random and give you a huge steps increase by the end.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.